Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Netgear DGN2000 it is working and my computer is connected…

Customer Question
I have a Netgear DGN2000...
I have a Netgear DGN2000 it is working and my computer is connected wirelessly
I want to connect using an ethernet cable to obtain faster and more reliable results
I have tried connecting with a variety of ethernet cables but I am getting a message that the computer is not connected
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/26/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Airport and router setup + TCP/ IP DHCP over Ethernet.

Hi , here's a guide to setup wireless connections , after this please see DHCP for Ethernet connections , to bottom .

Please can you go in to the Apple menu , system preferences , Network control panel , and press - on all the connections in the list one by one to remove them.

Then press + for each device one by one .

-

please try to follow these steps for setting up wireless connection .

1 Go to the Apple menu , System preference .

2 Open the network control panel pane .

3 Choose edit locations from the drop down menu in , network pane .

4 Click the + button to add a new location .

5 Name the location "new"

6 Select the NEW location from the drop down menu , in the network pane .

7 Click on airport for the new location , from side list .

8 Turn airport on if it is off .

9 In the network name , choose your Wireless SSID , if you do not see it , use the join other network and select your routers SSID. , type in the name and , select the type of security used , in most cases it will be either WPA2 personal , or WEP , enter your network password XXXXX

10 Tick the show airport in display bar option .

11 Click advanced button .

12 Go to the airport tab , add the SSID if its not shown it the list .

13 Go to the TCP/IP tab in advanced , select use DHCP

14 At the top of the screen use the new airport menu to join the network.

15 In the TCP/IP settings tab , you should now see your have a connection to the router .
and your IP address , subnet mask etc is now automatically filled in .

16 You should now be online , and connected to your LAN network . "local area"

Extra wireless setup info :-

Things to do before setting up your router :

Find a clear channel :

Try to pick a channel no one else is using next door , this tool can help find a clear unused channel . .

WiFi Scanner v1.1 **use this to check your wifi on the mac is working too :)

http://www.wlanbook.com/mac-os-x-wifi-scanner-snow-leopard/

Once installed , look inside your Applications folder to see the app , Wifi scanner .

Launch it , and find out if there's any other networks in your area , and what channel their on , you don't want to be on the same channel so set your router to another channel in the mid range , channel 5 , 6 , 7 or 8 depending on other wifi networks close to you etc .

Router firmware update : update the router to the latest firmware , see the routers Manufactures website for this or update from inside the router config page.

Your router must be setup to provide DHCP .

This is standard in most cases .

You need to check the router is setup for DHCP , " to provide DHCP for network connections ". and not setup as a extender or access point , it must allocate ip addresses using DHCP .

You need to check you are connected using DHCP and automatic mode on your Mac .

Open Apple menu system preference , network control panel .

Choose the Airport in the list .

Choose using DHCP

Click advanced ,

Set configure ip6 address to auto .

Choose proxies tab .

Select use passive FTP mode ticked on .

Close the advance panel .

The airport connection in the left panel should be green ,
i.e Green = connected to your router .

The DHCP ip address that is set automatically by the router .

The ip may read 10.0.1.2 or 10.0.1.3 or 192.168.0.2 etc .

Close all control panels .

Reset the router if need be.

Reboot both mac and Pcs if need be to test.

-------------------------------------

Ethernet & DHCP setup .

Connect the Mac to the router using a good known working Ethernet lead ,
use a non yellow in colour lead .
Yellow leads are in most cases cross over Ethernet leads and connections are reversed at one end .

1 Open Apple menu system preferences , network control panel .

2 Select your Ethernet port from the left list .

3 Click advanced and then TCPIP. or the TCPIP TAB.

4 Select Using DHCP from the control panel menu.

5 The setting should now automatically fill in .

6 Press ok , or close the window.

7 The Ethernet port you selected should now be Green to show its connected.

8 Under the proxies Tab , Check on "Use passive FTP mode". All other Proxies options off.

9 In the Ethernet tab select configure "Automatically"

8 Test the internet .

-

I hope this helps .

Thanks.