Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just copied my music folder onto my new computer (windows…

Customer Question
I just copied my music...
I just copied my music folder onto my new computer (windows 7) and installed itunes (latest version) and itunes did not recognize my library, and worse, I told it to add the files from my music to the library and it lost all my playlists.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/26/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Jesse, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Where did you copy the folder to, and was it just the iTunes Music folder or the whole iTunes folder that you copied?

Let me know and we'll get this sorted.
i copied the entire contents of My Music including the itunes folders from the old computer to My Music of the new computer. My music is inside the music folder.
If you copied over the iTunes folder (which should contain your iTunes library file, iTunes database file, etc.), and not just your Music, and placed it in the same location it was on the previous computer, iTunes should recognize it.

You'll want to make sure that the iTunes folder is directly in your Music folder, and that it doesn't go Music->My Music->iTunes, otherwise the iTunes program won't know where everything is.
This is exactly what I thought. Iv'e done this many times. Didn't work this time.
Have you tried it fresh, dragging over just the iTunes folder from your old computer and placing it in your Music folder again?
I guess that's next, along with uninstalling/reinstalling itunes. It' a 4 hour move.
Doesn't sound like the program is the problem. Somewhere along the way, iTunes was opened with the files in the wrong location. Just ensure that they're moved right where they need to be, and try again.

Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
I had "my Music" folder under "Music" on the old PC. I move again "My Musuc" and all its contents under "Music". What I had to do was to realize that Itunes folder was now in a different place on the new pc and had to move my old itunes folder to the new lacation, overwritting and files from the itunes installation.

So I guess the order should be install itunes music first and then install itunes application
It can be, it's all about the locatin of your iTunes application, and not opening it until the music is in the right place.