Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

After upgrading itunes from old version to newest version it…

After upgrading itunes from old...
After upgrading itunes from old version to newest version it will no longer recognize my iphone when I plug it in the computer recognizes it and will charge and let me import photos but itunes will not recognize
6/26/2010
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
With the newest release of itunes there have been a couple of issues with windows 7. Please follow the steps below as a lot of people have had issues with the latest itunes update. These steps will not delete any of your music or settings but clear out all apple installs and leave it fresh for a clean install.

First please click here on this page is a link to a utility in windows that can remove programs as long as the windows installer has access to them.

Once you install this

Click Start > Click All Programs > Click on the program Windows Installer Cleaner Utility

You should the be given a list of programs this can remove please check all Apple programs that appear ie Quick Time, Mobile Device, Itunes

Once this has successfully removed

do a reboot/restart your computer.

When the computer comes back up click start/windows icon on taskbar

Click Run

then in the command prompt type in : SFC /SCANNOW

there is a space after the SFC hit enter let it run through the verification process this can take some time

This Scan should check for errors in the windows file system.

After this scan is done and it fixes errors do another restart.

When the computer comes back up go download a fresh install from apples website and run the install

Please let me know if you have any questions

Omer Mushahwar
Went to the page you suggestede and can find no download link for Windows Installer Cleaner Utility can find info on product and links to people that had problems with it but no download link
Sorry it looks as if microsoft has removed that link from the page

You can download the utility here
Also just tried running the command : SFC /SCANNOW and can not run this command as nothing happens
Downloaded utility and tried to run it and get this error

Script
C:\Users\Cory\AppData\Local\Temp\IXp000.TMP\startMsi.vbs
Line: 17
Char: 1
Error: Permission Denied
Code: 800A0046
Source Microsoft VBScript runtime error
If you have the file downloaded to your desktop right click on it and select run as administrator, is your account an administrative account?

if you cannot run the SFC /Scannow from the run command

Click Start/Windrows Icon > click all programs > click accessories > right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

In the command prompt that opens up type in the same command PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN A SPACE AFTER SFC
Thanks running the command now and then will redownload itunes and let you know if that helps
Sounds good
Just finished redownloading and installing Itunes still have same problem as before
Iam trying the whole process 1 more time to see if it will work if not I may try a format of the entire computer. Thanks for your help

Please let me know if you have anymore ideas
After trying this 1 more time I cant even instal itunes anymore

I give up for the day
Thanks for trying and even though you couldnt solve the problem I appreciate your help
Did you user the cleaner to completely remove all apple products ?
Yes I did and now I cant even instal itunes any more
It seems your account does not have install admin privileges please save the iTunes install file to your desktop then right click on it and select run as administrator as you did in the steps above

let me know if this works
That did not work either

I have freshly formated computer and stil can not even instal itunes
Do you get any error messages?

Are you running 32 or 64 bit windows 7?