Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iPod classic, purchased in October 2009. My computer…

Customer Question
I have an iPod classic...
I have an iPod classic, purchased in October 2009. My computer is a Mac Book, OS X 10.5.8. I have had no problem updating my iPod until today. When I connect the iPod, it begins to sync but within seconds iTunes stops responding and I get the spinning ball. I force quit and try again and get the same result. I have rapsired all disk permissions, shit down and re-started the computer, and even restored factory settings on my iPod (so now it has nothing on it). My iTunes library has 99 GB of content, and my iPod has a 160 GB capacity. And I have no photos r tother data stoted on it. Please help. My email address [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/25/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please update your iTunes following the steps below:

1- Open Itunes

2- Click "iTunes" menu then "Check for Updates"

3- Wait for itunes to be updated

4- Restart your Mac BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (favorite) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

5- Also try using a differente USB cable and a different USB port on your Mac.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
I have tried these already. I have the most up to date version of iTunes, I have restored the iPod, used a different cable and port, repaired disk permissions, sht down and re-started. My Nano syncs no problem. It's the Classic that will not

If you connect the iPod to another computer, does it work ?

Have you tried resetting the ipod ?

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Re-setting (5 times) does nothing.
I have only one computer.

Please try using a different user account on your computer and let me know if it works there

Edited by John Cappucci on 6/25/2010 at 8:50 PM EST
I created another user account on my Mac and put 11 songs into the iTunes on that account. I plugged in the iPod and received a message asking if if I wanted to erase content from the iPod and sync it to the new account. I replied yes and the music was synched successfully. So I returned to my normal account and plugged in the iPod. I received the message about erasing and synching, and replied yes, and iTunes the response was as before - iTunes froze, the coloured ball went spinning...

I am sorry but I am out of ideas. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you.

Thank you
OK. Thanks anyway.