Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My address book is suddenly empty and all the emails in my…

Customer Question
My address book is suddenly...
My address book is suddenly empty and all the emails in my Mail application are empty except for the last 24 hours. When I go open sent or received messages that are stored this message comes up:

"The message from Paulene concerning “AAGA meeting” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it."

I have spoken to my server and they only have 3 days of my emails. I have lost the content of 2 and a half years!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/25/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX are already addressing this issue via another question that you have already posted. If you wish to continue in this format then please tell me and we can close the other question.

Customer:

let's stay with this one - I am a bit confused as to how to operate this service, sorry!

Daniel :

I just sent you a rather long explanation the other way I will do the same here.

Daniel :

Okay, this is what you want to do. You need to follow these steps exactly, in order.

Since you have already rebuilt your mailbox we will skip that step.

Reindex all messages:

First, quit Mail.

Second, in a finder window click on your small house with your name beside it and then click on Library find a folder called Mail.

graphic
Full Size Image
View Full Image

That is what it will look like, but your small house name will be different.

You will find all of the following in that location.

Third, move the Envelope Index File to a different location, such as your desktop (drag-and-drop).

Fourth, move any folders that are in that same location that begin with Mac -, Exchange, or IMAP, do it the same way as you did the last one (drag and drop).

Fifth, open Mail, Mail will reindex all messages, this process may take several minutes or longer depending on how many messages you have in your mailbox.

I know this is complicated that if you follow the instructions very carefully and do a dry run before you actually move anything you will do fine.

If I can clarify or perhaps make it a little easier please let me know.