Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The mail application in my macbook pro has had a bad day! First…

The mail application in my...
The mail application in my macbook pro has had a bad day! First the address book was suddenly empty, then all my saved emails both sent and received have a message when I open them that says:

The message [email protected] concerning “East Coast Booking confirmation” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it.

I have contacted my server who is restoring 3 days worth - but I have lost 2 years of work correspondence. Any ideas?
6/25/2010
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for asking, I will do my best to assist you.

Daniel, Mac Genius
I do believe that you clicked on accept a little too early.
If you could fill in some detail please.
Can you tell me the version of Mac OS X you are using?
You will find that information as in the images below.
graphic
graphic
I can probably assist you but I need to know the above first.
10.4.11
Okay, this is what you want to do. You need to follow these steps exactly, in order.
Since you have already rebuilt your mailbox we will skip that step.
Reindex all messages:
First, quit Mail.
Second, in a finder window click on your small house with your name beside it and then click on Library find a folder called Mail.
graphic
That is what it will look like, but your small house name will be different.
You will find all of the following in that location.
Third, move the Envelope Index File to a different location, such as your desktop (drag-and-drop).
Fourth, move any folders that are in that same location that begin with Mac -, Exchange, or IMAP, do it the same way as you did the last one (drag and drop).
Fifth, open Mail, Mail will reindex all messages, this process may take several minutes or longer depending on how many messages you have in your mailbox.
I know this is complicated that if you follow the instructions very carefully and do a dry run before you actually move anything you will do fine.
If I can clarify or perhaps make it a little easier please let me know.
I have dragged and dropped the envelope index, but there is nothing in Mail beginning with Mac -, Exchange, or IMAP, - should I just go ahead and open the Mail application?
Unfortunately once we have left the chat we cannot go back.
Then yes it you don't find any folders like that and you have moved the first one then yes, open Mail.
What does Incoming Mail Server mean? Would this be the company that is my server which is www.cali.co.uk?
Your incoming mail server should say something like pop.cali.com or imap.aol.com.
Whatever is in between the two dots will probably be cali.
Can you tell me exactly what it says where it says incoming mail server in the image below.
graphic
Disregard the circles.
I'm on the incoming mail server, user name, password XXXXX - I've already guessed it was pop from previous stuff I remembered - is there somewhere this info would be stored on my computer?
That info would be in the Mail preferences and should be in the appropriate boxes. Unless that has been moved.
I can't open Mail preferences yet because I'm setting up the account!! Slightly stuck now!!
Why are you setting up the account? That wasn't part of it.
When I opened Mail a window opened that said "You will be guided through steps to set up your new account" !! - so then where is my ongoing account? I now have the info I need, but I don't want to lose my account, I'd rather keep what I had than lose everything! I have cancelled it. What should I do now?
If you have all the info then go ahead with it. According to the help for your version of Mail it will reindex your messages. It won't be any worse than it is now.
I have entered everything and the outgoing mail server info isn't working. I can't verify this until I can call my server in office hours which won't be til Monday! Can I put the envelope back in the library Mail file and get back to where i was and maybe try again when i can talk to my server?
You can't make it any worse, however, I would try these different ports in the outgoing Server Settings at the bottom of the Accounts window.
25, 110, 443, 587, 993 and 995
Those are what are the common ports and one should work, you may want SSL checked but I do not know your what your mail provider requires.
Authentication is another option that may be needed also.
There are a lot of combinations to try and one will work. It is somewhat hit and miss.
I have looked at the website and have been unable to learn anything useful.
Can you logon to the webmail and use your email?
Well, I now have a new account and I have imported the files from Mac OS - but all I have is this week's work. What has happened to everything else? I am definitely worse off than when I started I'm afraid!
The rest of them are probably in that folder that in now on your desktop.
In that folder for Mail are or should be POP or IMAP that have your email address, inside of those are where all your are. If those files do not exist then some it is possible that they are findable.
In the Spotlight (in the upper right corner of your screen) type in POP-(your email) and see what it finds, if you have IMAP then use that instead.

OK, everything is there when i look on spotlight - thank you! So, I guess that's it! I think I already paid you when I clicked accept answer right at the beginning. I don't think I want to pay twice though!! Can you confirm you got paid alread, as I can't find it on my emails - all a bit confusing!
Yes, we are square. I am glad it is all better. If you need me again just ask.
Thank you. This is not a request for payment it is just a reply.
Many thanks - nice to know there are some good people out there!
I try, I like meeting people like you, makes what I do worthwhile.