Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bit, while I was updating…

Customer Question
I have Windows Vista Home...
I have Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bit, while I was updating my iTunes I lost internet connection, and now I cannot get my iTunes to work. Please help!

~RC
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi I am one of the other experts here on just answer.com

I see you are running Vista there are a few things we can try.

First please click here on this page is a link to a utility in windows that can remove programs as long as the windows installer has access to them.

Once you install this

Click Start > Click All Programs > Click on the program Windows Installer Cleaner Utility

You should the be given a list of programs this can remove please check all Apple programs that appear ie Quick Time, Mobile Device, Itunes

Once this has successfully removed

Now once this is done do a reboot/restart your computer.

When the computer comes back up click start/windows icon on taskbar

Click Run

then in the command prompt type in : SFC /SCANNOW

there is a space after the SFC hit enter let it run through the verification process this can take some time

This Scan should check for errors in the windows file system.

After this scan is done and it fixes errors do another restart.

When the computer comes back up go download a fresh install from apples website and run the install

Please let me know if you have any questions

Still does not work, while I download, it is telling me I do not have the keys for them, I thought that is supposed to install with the program.
Sorry it looks as if microsoft has removed that link from the page

You can download the utility here

When you install or run the program you may have to right click on it and tell it to run as administrator as sometimes the security in vista can limit it. Please remember to restart the computer once you completely remove ALL APPLE related programs, itunes, quicktime, mobile devices, bonjour then REBOOT

This should clean the registry too which is why you are getting key errors, though if you post the specific error i can help you fix it another way as well
There are many keys missing, so it says. I got the Windows Install Clean Up, and got it to work, it's just when I try to install iTunes again, it gives me a message saying that it cannot install because it needs Quicktime, yet Quicktime is included in the installation process.
Its weird that its saying it needs quicktime but if thats the case

Download the latest quick time at the link below install first you may need to right click and say run as administrator once the install is saved to your desktop

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Then after its installed reboot.

Then go download the latest 64 bit itunes from
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

Run this install and reboot let me know the results.