Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac Pro laptop acts as if its starting, then stays dark.

Customer Question
My Mac Pro laptop acts...
My Mac Pro laptop acts as if it's starting, then stays dark. Once I got it up with my disc 1 installer and used the utility to verify and repair disk. The outcome was that it was fine, no repairs needed. Now I can't get it started with that disk either, using the C key down or the D key for hardware diagnosis, which also came out fine the first time. I am totally mystified. Can you help me? Linda Parcell
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/25/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi ,
I would like to assist your with this .

Please try resetting the SMC it may reset hardware and then startup correctly .

-

Try this by following these steps :-

Reset the SMC

To reset the SMC on a Mac Book Pro ,

1 Turn off the computer and disconnect the power.

2 Remove the battery and then hold down on the power button for 5 seconds.

3 Reinstall the battery and turn the computer back on.

4 Boot from the DVD OSX installer holding the C key on power up .

5 Try to boot to the main Mac HD , or Mac OSX installer disk 1 from the DVD drive..

6 Run a full disk check on your Mac HD , repair permissions as wells as Mac HD repair. I can assist with this Mac HD repair if you get booted .

If there are still issues , have you any memory upgrades installed? Please revert back to the standard Apple supplied ram and try to boot .

Disconnect any external equipment including USB sticks , printers etc , try to boot .

Do you get chime ?

Do you get apple logo ?

Is the computer under any warranty?

I hope this helps ,

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 6/25/2010 at 8:45 AM EST
Hi! I did as you directed- removed power cord, removed battery and pushed power button for 5 seconds, put back battery and tried to boot up with installer disk in, pushing C on boot. I had to do it that way since the disk was already in there and hadn't come out. No change. I press the power button, hear the chime, then nothing happens. The screen remains dark. I hear the disk drive working but nothing comes up. I push the eject button on keyboard to get the disk out and that is not responding now either. I need more help!
I have had my Power Mac Pro for about two years. I think my Apple Care plan has run out. I've never had a problem until this. I have installed each Leopard upgrade. The installer is for Leopard as it shipped back then. I do not have Snow Leopard yet tho'. Help! Sincerely, Linda
Hi ,

Please eject the DVD make sure it is very very clean or it will not boot , Mac OSX install DVD are very sensitive towards dirt , finger prints and scratches ..

To eject hold eject on USB KB while powering on .

or hold left mouse button while powering on USB mouse needed..

Also try booting without the DVD once ejected .

We can try zapping the pram if needed .

We can try zapping the pram as below to try to rebuild the Mac possibly lost hardware settings.

Zap pram:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously as below.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

After zap try booting both Mac HD and DVD installer disk , make sure your using the installer boot disk , normally disk 1 .

Has this helped ??

Is there any 3rd party ram installed?

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/25/2010 at 11:18 PM EST
I got the disk to eject, so it's out now. I get a good, strong chime quickly, but alas, still only a dark screen. Same as before. I tried to boot without the disk with same results; strong chime, dark screen. Before I zap anything, what will happen to the programs and documents on my hard drive? Will I be doing anything that will lose them to me? I am very concerned. Are you by any chance an Apple authorized expert? I'm going to double check that my Apple Care has run out. It says three years, and it's been about that or less, so I realize I need to check on this. In any case, if you tell me zapping the pram is safe to try, I'll do it. Wanted to ask first. Thanks, Linda

also I only have a disk 1 and 2 installer disks and no others came with it other than the Applecare disk.

Hi, my email says I have an email waiting, but it isn't there. Send again? Thanks!
Hi ,

Pram is a small memory chip located on the motherboard of the Mac .
It hold information on the Mac .

extra info :-

Contents of PRAM
Some Macintosh computers may not have all the settings described below.

Settings Stored in PRAM :-

Status of AppleTalk
Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
Alarm clock setting
Application font
Serial printer location
Autokey rate
Autokey delay
Speaker volume
Attention (beep) sound
Double-click time
Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
Startup disk
Menu blink count
Monitor depth
32-bit addressing
Virtual memory
RAM disk
Disk cache

The Pram does not affect anything on the Mac HD , resetting may help your issue .

If you cant get it to jump back in to life , then you will have to make an arrangement with your local Apple store for a repair .

Does the screen light any ? does it stay black , or is it lit but still black ?

When you zap the Pram , make sure it chimes twice and then release the keys .
Chimes once on power on , chimes a second time after 4 or 5 seconds , then release the key combo.

Thanks.
Hello again. I'm so disappointed. Zapping the PRAM did not change a thing. I still hear strong chime quickly, on light goes on in the front of the laptop, battery shows all lights green, but the screen remains dark, not gray, dark, too dark to see anything that might be showing up on screen like a question mark, etc. That has not changed from first message to you. I guess I'm going to have to stop at this point and take it to an Apple repair location. Too bad since we live about 60 miles from the nearest one. I so hoped we could do this with your suggestions of things to try. So, what's next? Do I pay you now anyway? How does it work. I do appreciate all you have tried to suggest. Anymore ideas, last tries? Sincerely, XXXXX
Hi ,

Did the Mac chime twice when zapping pram ?

You can try resetting SMC again after .

You can try booting from DVD again .

If all fails , then there must be a hardware fault .

Please contact Apple , you can print off this list of recomedations to do and tell apple you have tried to reset but a problem still remains .

You are now saying there is a question mark ? or a black screen . ??

To me this sounds like the LCD back-light has gone , possibly disconnected ,
and the Mac HD has came unplugged or disconnected . A unhappy Mac & question mark on the boot screen normally means no Mac HD can be found .
Try inserting the OSX installer . Wait at least 20 mins with the DVD inserted to see if it boots .

Has the Mac been dropped ?

Does the Mac have third party ram installed?

Sorry nothing has worked so far , but the above is what apple will ask you to do ,
you can check this if you wish and give them a print off of what you have attempted .

I don't get paid until you accept the answers .

My answer is you need to book a repair as i have gone though all the advanced user resetting methods with you , and if performed correctly this shows there is an hardware issue .

Edited by iteachmac on 6/27/2010 at 8:35 AM EST
Am I talking to myself?
I'm sorry, but nothing we were trying was working so I took my Mac Pro into the apple dealer and it turned out the my apple care had not run out yet. That was lucky because it was $2200 logic board that went out. Thank God for applecare. We were not ever going to solve that problem online! Thanks for trying! Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Hi , yes , that was my diagnosis .

As stated before .

Thanks.