Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Hi my macbook is about 3 years old and its display blinks…

Customer Question
Hi my macbook is about...
Hi my macbook is about 3 years old and it's display blinks out whenever i try to brighten it. it will stay on for a moment then the screen will blank... can someone please help? i've already taken it to applecare and they didnt do anything cept replace the casing around the screen and the keyboard.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/24/2010
Mac Support Specialist: robgranholm, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Hi can you be a little more specific...when it blinks out...does it not come back at all? and when it blanks...does it go Black? it may be a bigger hardware issue...try this when it "blanks" out...get a flash light and shine it right at the screen...if you look hard, can you still see your screen windows and icons? ... but they are just not lit up? ... try to explain a little more and maybe I can get this resolved for you..I'm Rob, here to help!
actually yes when i flash a flashlight i can see the display and yes it goes black...basically, it's just not lit up.
I totally understand. I've seen this issue many times, the backlight is what's not functioning here and going in and out. This can be caused by a cable, or the backlight itself, or the motherboard of the computer...all things Applecare did not replace. I hate to say it but there's no software repair for this issue, it will need to be inspected and taken part by a service specialist, most likely at an Apple Store if you can show them the problem, they can diagnose what needs to be replaced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Ok i will try to do that...do you know what i should say/ask? cause i'm not too sure how to explain my dilemma...it didn't work the first time

I would say I've verified that my backlight is out, then demonstrate it for them and say this isn't functioning normally and needs to be replaced.