Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I bought a LG superdrive CD/DVD burner with Lightscribe (scribe…

Customer Question
I bought a LG superdrive...
I bought a LG superdrive CD/DVD burner with Lightscribe (scribe images on the surface of the DVD) for a Mac Intel processor I have. I download the driver from the Lightscribe site: www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/mac/index.aspx?id=813
I am using the lightscribe function through a software: Disclabel
The problem is that when I try to scribe the DVD, the software told me there's not a driver installed. The Disclabel support told me there's a problem with the equipment, and the LG support told me that it is suppose to work with the driver I've downloaded from the lightscribe site......
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/24/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Let me research this a little bit and I'll get right back to you.

Customer: OK
Daniel :

This site Here I think has the software that you need, it has a free trial so they can test it but they want $36 for it if it works.

It also has the latest version for Snow Leopard.

Take a look at it and try the free trial, it may be what you're looking for. At least that is what looks like from your question, you can burn the DVD you just can't label it, correct?

Customer: I have that software, but not recognize the driver or the burner...
Daniel :

So the drive just sits there like a paper weight?

Daniel :

What version Mac OS X are you using?

Daniel :

I found this, it has a date of May 2010.

Daniel :

From all I have found out Mac will not do LightScribe, somewhat of a bummer but the discs are not cheap.

I tried one myself last year and while it worked as a superdrive (it would burn OK) nothing else worked and then the drive failed also. I use printable DVDs/CDs and a disc printer.

Daniel :

So I would say return it, pick your reason. Some things Apple does not do.

Customer: That's the driver I download fron the Lightscribe site. I've installed it but for some reason the system not recognize it.
Daniel :

I do not know of anyone who has been able to use a LightScribe since 10.4.11 and then it had to be LaCie. They are the only ones that actually make the drivers for that particular optical setup, the newest I have found for any kind of feedback was 2008.

There may be some that have gotten it to work but they're not talking.

I cannot like the idea of being able to flip the disc over and burn the label, what you might try if you are really determined, is installing Windows and using it from that platform.

That is really all I have for you, sorry about that.