Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

iphone - itunes problem computer imac is authorized on itunes.

iphone - itunes problem:...
iphone - itunes problem: computer imac is authorized on itunes. attempt to transfer purchases from iphone to itunes and get message that computer is not authorized. I go back to authorize computer and enter data and get reply that computer is already authorized. try purchase transfer again and same message again. All software is latest issue, both macbook pro and iphone3Gs
6/24/2010
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
BeBoo :

Hi there. This can usually be fixed by first deauthorizing your computer and then reauthorizing it. In the same menu, choose De-Authorize Computer and enter your credentials. Do it again just for safe measure (the second time, it will say it was already deauthorized). Then, try re-authorizing and try again.

Customer: just tried several times your process. no success. I don't want to reboot or loose you
BeBoo :

Do you get the message when you go to play the song as well or just when you want to transfer them?

Customer: do I need to shutdown and restart itunes?
BeBoo :

Shouldn't need to

Customer: these are apps for iphone, not songs
BeBoo :

Ah, sorry. I assumed songs from the question. So you syncing apps from the iPhone to your iTunes or from iTunes to your iPhone?

Customer: under "file" transfer purchases from iphone to itunes.
Customer: if I sync the items on the iphone will be replaced by the itmes on itunes and i lose the apps
Customer: on the iphone
Customer: itunes version 9.2
Customer: iphone 4.0
BeBoo :

Ok, let's check something then. Unplug the iPhone first. Tap Settings, then scroll down to Store and tap on it. Is the account shown the account you have been trying to log into?

Customer: yes
Customer: itunes store shows my account top right corner
BeBoo :

Do you have any other iTunes accounts that you may have used to purchase anything on the iPhone with? (perhaps an old iTunes account?)

Customer: no, only the one
BeBoo :

Just a moment while I do some quick research

BeBoo :

Sorry, I am back. I lost my internet connection there for a few minutes.

Customer: I just thought of something. I have one itunes account. My wife has this computer Macbook pro and I have an Imac. we both use the same account for both of our iphones. The problem exists only on the wife's iphone and itunes. On my computer and iphone it works correctly.
BeBoo :

The only way you would see this message is if it's trying to transfer a purchase that was made by an account other than the one(s) that your computer is authorized for.

BeBoo :

So you are trying to transfer the purchases from your wife's iPhone to her MacBook?

Customer: mine works, hers does not.
Customer: yes
BeBoo :

Have you tried using Transfer Purchases with her iPhone and your iMac?

Customer: no, i don't want her apps on my imac. is that something I should try though?
BeBoo :

It would be something to test with. I'm still thinking there is an app (or maybe a song) that was purchased using a different account and that why you are getting this message. I was told there was a way to view what account purchased items on the device. I'm trying to find that now.

Customer: there are 42 apps that will not transfer on her iphone
Customer: all have been purchased under the same account.
BeBoo :

Hrm

Customer: same account means same e-mail and password
BeBoo :

Right. There isn't anything else that usually causes this issue.

BeBoo :

Would you be willing to at least attempt doing the transfer purchases on your iMac? Perhaps into a new library instead of your main one?

BeBoo :

or actually

BeBoo :

Let's try that... Let's create a new Library on your wife's computer and try using transfer purcahses there.

Customer: how?
BeBoo :

Close down her iTunes (iTunes menu > Quit iTunes)

Customer: done
BeBoo :

Ok, hold down the Option key and open up iTunes

BeBoo :

A popup will appear asking if you want to choose a library or create one.

BeBoo :

Click Create Library and click Save.

BeBoo :

This will name the new library Music 1

BeBoo :

Err... iTunes 1

Customer: i selected the default of music 1
BeBoo :

Ok, you should now have a blank library

Customer: yep
Customer: started purchase transfer
BeBoo :

And its working?

Customer: got several transfered but left with 43 apps before the error message again
Customer: all the ones that did transfer were the ones that were purchesed on her macbook
BeBoo :

Ok, so it's not the library.

Customer: all the ones purchesed on her iphone did not
BeBoo :

While in the new library, try doing the deauthorize/authorize again

BeBoo :

then try transferring

Customer: ok
Customer: done! did not work. same message
BeBoo :

Drats.

BeBoo :

I'm out of ideas then =[

Customer: me too
Customer: what now?
BeBoo :

I will opt out so that another expert can jump in and take a look at the issue

BeBoo :

Hopefully they will think of something that I am missing

BeBoo :

By the way, to get the old library back, use the Option key again and click Choose Library and choose the iTunes folder (not iTunes 1)

BeBoo :

Stick around while I opt out and send this question to another expert.

Customer: ok
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Hi, my name isXXXXX can help here. I've actually seen this before a few times and the fastest fix for customers has been to get in touch with iTunes at www.apple.com/support/itunes ... you have to answer a few questions at the bottom of the page but it will give you a number after that. What the usual problem i...somehow, someway...multiple accounts have been created and some items are authorized on one account, and some on the other...so your computer can't sync because you can't have two accounts authorized. iTunes are the only people who can merge these accounts and get everything synced up correctly, so that's going to be your best bet here.
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius