Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Several months ago, right before my pc crashed, I moved my…

Customer Question
Several months ago, right before...
Several months ago, right before my pc crashed, I moved my Outlook Express to my Mac Mail by using the "Little Machine". It worked fine but duplicated every item.
Recently, I was cleaning up my iMac, wanted to move only the duplicated folders to trash but they all went. I went to retrieve the folders and the mbox but cannot get the email folders to show up. When I go to import the mbox it says, "no valid mailboxes were found". I do have a mbox on my desktop called "outlook.mbox" and inside of it is "recovered 17 files"...
I want to get all of my email folders back. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/24/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Jesse, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Did you move them to your system Trash (the icon on the Dock), or the Mail Trash? If the Mail Trash, are they still in there?
The icon on the Dock
Did you empty the Trash, or simply move them there? To double check, click on the Trash icon and look in the window that opens to see if the files are there.
I did not empty the Trash, just moved it there. My problem is when I went to drag them back they do not go there. I tried to "drag" them back but they do not stay. So I put them in a folder on my desktop so I would not loose them.
So you dragged them back to your Desktop, and those are the Mbox files you've tried to import through Mail unsuccesfully. When you went through the File->Import tool in Mac Mail, did you select to Import Data from Apple Mail or Files in mbox format?
I tried both...mbox first....the folders show up under "On My Mac" as "Import" in white..below that is is a outlook folder in blue (looks to have content)....
then below that is the heading "[email protected]" shows a InBox1.in white and a volder below that in blue called mbox.
I cannot open the folders...the arrows do not change to show the drop down lists of folders
Try right clicking (or control+clicking) on the mbox files, and selecting the Show Contents option. You should see the messages inside, and be able to drag and drop them into Mail.
When I right click I do not see "Show Contents" in the drop down box. When I just try to drag files over they bounce back.
I was waiting to hear back from you. Do you need more information from me at this time?
Sorry for the delay. Try double clicking on the mbox file. It should open, and show you your messages, which you can then drag into Mail.
I have done that. When I drag the file over it looks to bounce back. If it does make a copy in the outlook folder it does not allow me to open it. There is no arrow in front of the folder like there is in the Import folder which is about the outlook folder. Again, it looks like there would be the files i need as it is blue not a white empty box.
Is there a way to add an arrow (or what looks like a triangle) in front of the outlook folder so I can open it?
The messages should have an emlx on the end of their name. Have you tried dragging them into a folder in Mac Mail, or just into the open window?
I have been trying to drag them to the MAILBOXES..that are listed under my Inbox, Drafts, Trash and Junk..Then it starts with ON MY MAC which is where I have been dragging them to.

I have to leave for an appointment and will be gone for 2 hours. I will look for your reply when I return.

Try downloading Thunderbird (get it here), and using it's import tool to open the mbox files. You can then export them from Thunderbird, and they should open in Mail.

I know it seems a backwards route, but it often works.
I just got back in and downloaded Thunderbird and it said it was successful but that was only for my existing emails/folders. I was so hoping that would work.

You mentioned in the email before I left that the messages should have emix on the end. What I have is the files on my Desktop. In that folder is the outlook.mbox. That folder has an Import folder and 17 other folders that we named "recovered files" (1 - 17) after I moved them out of the trash.

Under the Thunderbird import tool it should give you the option to select mbox files for import. Does it not?
Yes, it has "address books, mail, settings and filters. I choose mail.
Okay. Unfortunately, I'm stumped, so I'm going to open the question up to other experts. If I find a solution before someone else helps you, I'll let you know.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I can get this resolved.