Mac

I just bought a shuffle. I have an existing iphone with about…

Customer Question
I just bought a shuffle...
I just bought a shuffle. I have an existing iphone with about 1000 songs on it. When I plugged in my shuffle it randomly started downloading songs from my iphone's itunes library. In attempting to fix this, I messed up my iphones library. So I deleted itunes all together in order to start over. Now, I don't have... Read full answer
I just bought a shuffle. I have an existing iphone with about 1000 songs on it. When I plugged in my shuffle it randomly started downloading songs from my iphone's itunes library. In attempting to fix this, I messed up my iphones library. So I deleted itunes all together in order to start over. Now, I don't have all the music that is on my iphone. I have only the music that was bought from itunes, but most of that music has an exclamation point next to it, saying that itunes can't find the file. And when I look at my shuffle library there is no music on it. How can I start over and get the music on my iphone back onto my computer (and usable) and how can I create a library for my shuffle by selecting music from my existing 1000 songs on my iphone?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
6/24/2010
Mac Support Specialist: robgranholm, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Hi, you need to locate the files on your computer, they should all be in your MY MUSIC folder..or throughout your hard drive. Once you locate the files open up iTunes holding down OPTION or ALT depending on your keyboard...then select, create new library and drag ALL the music throughout your computer into your new iTunes library, thats the best way to start over fresh!

I have three clarification questions:

1. If I search by file name and find the song, I have been able to move it to the new library. However, this would require me to search every song I own (more than 1000) and put it in the library. Is there a quicker way?

2. Music I have downloaded off of a CD is not being found. (Obviously) it is still on phone, is there a special way to find these songs??

3. Once I find all the songs and they are in my new library, how do I pick the ones I want to put onto my shuffle?

also, one more clarification question. I mentioned that many of my songs had originally had an exclamation point beside them. It seems that I can not find those songs either, regardless of the fact that I had bought them from itunes and they are on my phone.
Hi, okay here are some answers!

1. Yes, take note of where it's finding the song files, and use the "one directory up" button to go one directory up and see what folder all those songs are in, try pressing it again to see if there's a logical placement to where all these songs are located.

2. Music off a song may have a different file name than the one that gets placed in iTunes...these songs may be hard to find on your computer, you may need to do some digging as they may be labeled as "track 1, track 2, etc, and not their real names)

3. Once you find all the songs and have them in your new library, create a playlist by using the plus button in the bottom left corner. Add the songs you want that you'd like on your shuffle. Then plug in your shuffle, and click it's icon on the left column...you'll see several tabs, one of which will be music. In this tab you'll be given the option to sync a playlist...choose the one you created and click Apply, this will sync all the songs in that playlist.

Regarding your clarification: hopefully the songs were not deleted somehow, an exclamation point means that it cant find the song, so if you cant find it in your My Music folder or anywhere else on your computer, you are going to have to deal with iTunes Online, and try to redownload the music, or re-rip the music from CD's....a sucky alternative..i KNOW!

I'll be here throughout the night every few hours to help out more!
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I just got an iPod shuffle for my daughter and trying to
Hi! I just got an iPod shuffle for my daughter and trying to download songs onto it. I'm syncing from my iMac. When I try to add new songs it says I have to turn on iCloud Music Library on my iPod. I … read more
I am new to it and am having problems loading songs to it
I am new to it and am having problems loading songs to it form the computer … read more
Jay D
Jay D
Bachelor of Science
I having a problem loading songs from my computer to a new I
I having a problem loading songs from my computer to a new I pod shuffle. My other one lasted do long that I have forgotten how, even then I did not not do it myself. … read more
Jay D
Jay D
Bachelor of Science
Stop searching for answers—
typiing problem, ill try again: i cant get itunes to let
typiing problem, i'll try again: i can't get itunes to let me copy music to my ipod shuffle. the "add to" doesn't work -- nothing is exported… read more
Support Specialist,
Having trouble with iTunes Albums and songs are on my iPhone
Having trouble with iTunes Albums and songs are on my iPhone 4. After an update of iTunes on the desktop computer to 11.0.2.26 the songs were missing from desktop iTunes. All of the albums, songs, etc… read more
Support Specialist,
I have an Ipod shuffle 1kb and just bought a 2kb and cannot
I have an Ipod shuffle 1kb and just bought a 2kb and cannot drop and drag from music libarary?… read more
Support Specialist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have had my music on my phone since bought my iphone 4 in
I have had my music on my phone since bought my iphone 4 in sept 11. I have lost my music from the phone. it still appears in my library in itunes but is no longer on my phone. when i plug in my phone… read more
webpagesby22
webpagesby22
Server Engineer,
I have had an Apple ITunes account for several years. The
I have had an Apple ITunes account for several years. The main computer where I purchased the bulk of my songs is locked up in storage in California and I now live in Switzerland. I have an IPod which… read more
Apple Consultant,
Two Decades Field Experience
I just bought a new Shuffle. Im trying to get that set up now
I just bought a new Shuffle. Im trying to get that set up now but I will give some background and explain some trouble with ITunes Im having in addition to the new set up. I have an older nano that I … read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
My iPod icon on iPhone 4 has disappeared since the latest OS
My iPod icon on iPhone 4 has disappeared since the latest OS update. Has the "Music" icon replaced this? How do I now copy music from my iTunes library on my PC to my i Phone?… read more
Apple Consultant,
Two Decades Field Experience
Hi I have all my favourite music on iTunes which took hours
Hi I have all my favourite music on iTunes which took hours to download. My itouch was stolen. I have since bought an ipod classic from my niece and tried to download all the music onto it from itunes… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Purchased a new computer and transferred my library to it.
Purchased a new computer and transferred my library to it. Updated to Itunes 10.0. Now I can't drag some songs to my playlists.… read more
Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I just upgraded the OS on my iphone and ipad and now my Itunes
I just upgraded the OS on my iphone and ipad and now my Itunes has lost all of my music files. What is the easiest way to re-establish connectivity? thanks, XXXXX… read more
an exclamation point suddenly appeard next to every song (
an exclamation point suddenly appeard next to every song ( almost ), not allowing me to play my music. says file has been relocated or deleted.… read more
Joseph
Joseph
okay i have a n old ipod mini and i just found it again there
okay i have a n old ipod mini and i just found it again there is alot of good music on it and i want to put some of it onto my newer ipod shuffle how can i do that?????… read more
Support Specialist,
i brought my Del lap top to a computer store to have them move
i brought my Del lap top to a computer store to have them move my I Tunes from an old lap top to this one. i do not have any of my play lists, but there are some of the songs in itunes on the lap top.… read more
robgranholm
robgranholm
Mac Genius,
I recently changed to Windows 7 and used to be able to create
I recently changed to Windows 7 and used to be able to create playlists on my PC for my iPhone. I am now unable to create new playlists on my iPhone, while my iPhone is connected to my computer, to dr… read more
robgranholm
robgranholm
Mac Genius,
1. I get a cannot sync error message with code #13019 when
1. I get a "cannot sync" error message with code #13019 when I plug my iphone into my laptop. 2. I saved itune purchased songs onto external hard drive then imported the songs into my laptop itunes li… read more
GBoudreau
GBoudreau
Web Applications Developer,