Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Hi, I have just downloaded the new o.4 to my wifes phone…

Customer Question
Hi, I have just downloaded the...

I have just downloaded the new o.4 to my wife's phone which she shares my computer and it seems to have lost all her contacts which is really distressing. it just says sync all contacts and puts my contacts on her phone. this happenned directly after the download.

we back up to time capsule but I have no idea how to find this information again??

please help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/24/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi ,

The address book is synced to the current address book in OSX if checked to sync .

If your wife has a second user account other than yours where her address book is synced , please log in to that to account to update the ipod / iphone .

If you are sharing a computer , it is best to have two user accounts so to have separate address books .

If you open the address book in OSX are your contacts in it , or are there your wife's?

Switch to a computer or account where your wife's contacts are stored to sync that info .

You can use home sharing to share music and other content .

-

Ok the best thing to do is to make sure all purchases and music are in your itunes , and make a physical DVD backup of your music now , from itunes burn MP3 CD or Data CD DVD . Once this is complete there is less risk of data loss .

Also check your address book on your computer is up to date and synced and is also backed up. Check your user account and address book are the same on both OSX and the ipod / iphone . Do not use someone elses user account to sync or update the ipod / iphone .

Sharing :

In itunes try using the File menu and transfer purchases from ipod , to the second Mac or PC .

You my need to Authorize the computer to share your music and downloads at which point you will be asked for your apple ID and password XXXXX

Purchases on the ipod will be copied to itunes .

Sync the ipod so all music and data is current.

If you have music from a different computer , make sure it is shared with the second computer using home sharing . Once the music and data is shared across all computers and ipod / iphone , then you can remove the computer that is not being used anymore . See Deauthorize computer in the Store menu , and turn off sharing for this computer as below.

More on home sharing:

There is a home sharing option built in to itunes 9 onward .

You can use this to share the music in the home place network .

-

Sharing your iTunes library across computers

If your computer is connected to other computers over a local network, you can share items in your library with up to five of those computers.
While your computer is on and iTunes is open, others in your network can play your shared items, but shared items can’t be imported into others’ libraries.
If you want to import items from other iTunes libraries on other computers in your home, you can turn on Home Sharing.

You can use Home Sharing with up to five computers.
To use Home Sharing, you must have an iTunes Store account.
Sharing is intended for personal use only.

To share your library with other computers on your local network:

Choose iTunes > Preferences, click Sharing, and select “Share my library on my local network.”

Select the items you want to share.

To require users to enter a password XXXXX they can see your shared items, select “Require password” and enter a password.

If you choose to share your entire library, its name appears in the iTunes window (below Shared) on other local computers set up to look for shared libraries.

To change the name others see, choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, and type a new name in the Library Name field.

-

To turn off sharing:

Choose iTunes > Preferences and then click Sharing.

Deselect “Share my library on my local network.”

-

To import items from other libraries using Home Sharing:

Choose Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing.

Type your iTunes account name and password, and then click Create Home Share.

Using the same user name and password, repeat steps 1 and 2 on each computer.

To import items from another computer, select the computer (below Shared), and drag items from its library to yours.

To automatically import iTunes Store items that are downloaded to a computer you’re Home Sharing with, select “Automatically import new purchases from [Computer Name].”

-

To turn off Home Sharing:

On each computer, choose Advanced > Turn Off Home Sharing.

You can share movies; radio station links; and MP3, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV, and AAC files. You can’t share programs purchased from Audible.com or QuickTime sound files.

You can also find this info in Itunes help , launch itunes , use the top screen help menu , select itunes help , search for home sharing.

-

Alternative solution .
Note : Apple TV is the easiest way to share music , video and pictures etc on the local home network .
It basically is a HDD networked box that plugs in to the home HD TV and audio center . Apple TV connects to a local network via Wifi and serves music and film wireless to all computers on the network or directly to the HD TV plugged in to it .

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?afid=p202|GOUKE100819837&cid=OAS-EMEA-KWG-UK_TV-UK

Once you are shared across all you computers and authorized , and Deauthorized if needed "if a computer is not used any more" , transfer purchases from ipod / iphone.. synced address book , backed up both address book and itunes data ...

Run the Update to OS4 .

I hope this helps .

Thanks.
I hope this helps .

Thanks but I didn't hear back ad took the laptop to apple this morning as needed something a bit faster.

Appreciate the response but not needed now.

Best
Rory
Ok , i hope you got on top of it .

:)

Edited by iteachmac on 6/24/2010 at 12:11 PM EST