Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I auto updated my Safari and Quicktime when it said updates…

Customer Question
I auto updated my Safari...
I auto updated my Safari and Quicktime when it said updates were available the other night and since using Quicktime or WMV have been unable to open any movie files I had saved.

How do I fix it ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/23/2010
Mac Support Specialist: robgranholm, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Hi, can you let me know what type of movie files they are? It's possible there's an incompatible codec you are using, do you use any particular camera, or have installed any video codecs previous? My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you out with this. Thanks
Hi Rob ;

This just started the other day after doing one of those automatic updates that I've done a thousand times with no problems. It was an update for Quicktime and Safari and both seemed to go without problems . as usual.

When I tried to view a files I had saved and viewed many times before , I will get a :

' Movie could not be opened .... Mac OS -50 error ".

I tried opening the movie(s) with WMV ( QT is the default ) also with no luck. This was with all files I checked , some I've had for years and these were either Ouicktime or WMV .

The one thing I just found out was that movies that are saved and opened by itunes (MPEG) as a default, could be opened with Quicktime if I changed that 'open with' box from WMV to OT.

I'm running OS X version 10.4.11 if that means anything ..... and no, there has been nothing new added .... all I did was do those updates that you get every so often.

Thanks for getting back to me ,

Jim
Hmm gotcha, it's a codec issue of some sort...lets see if this sets you right. Download and install Perian, it's dubbed the swiss army knife of video codecs...should be able to get these video files playing correctly in Quicktime, restart after you install. http://perian.org/ ... update here and let me know, we'll get this taken care of.
Rob ;

I installed Perian yesterday after reading someone suggest that when I Googled the OS 50 Error ... but didn't see what I was supposed to do with it as the icon went into my applications and that was it.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to use it ( no instructions, etc ) unless just installing it was supposed to make things work , which it didn't.

Just to be sure I did it right, I just installed it again, restarted the Mac and still the OS 50 error comes up when I click on a movie / clip that I've seen plenty of times ...

What am I doing wrong with Perian ?

Jim

Yes, installing it was it...it should show up in your System Preferences at the bottom...does it?
Shows up at the top of the side bar above Applications, Documents, Desktop, etc. as a hard drive icon as perian 1.2.1 ...

No change in anything, however.
I should have been more clear in my direction. If you click the Apple in the top left corner of your screen, then select "System Preferences" a new window will appear, is Perian at the bottom of this window?
Yes it is ....
Ack...okay...next would be to check all quicktime codecs. Please list out what codecs are found in the following folders .. 1. Hard Drive > Library > Quicktime 2. Hard Drive > System > Library > Quicktime 3. Hard Drive > Users > YOURUSERNAME > Library > Quicktime ..... list out all the codecs in each folder...something in one of them is causing this problem.
Ok ... hope I did this right and this are the 'codecs' you wanted a list of ......

1 ) AppleIntermediateCodec.component - DivX Decoder.component - DivX. component - Flip4Mac WMVAdvanced.component - Flip4Mac WMV Export.component - Flip4Mac Import.component

2) ApplePixletVideo - AppleProResDecoder - AppleVAH264HW - QuartzComposer - QuickTime3GPP -
QuickTimecomponents - QuickTimeFirewallDV - QuickTimeH264 - QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer -
QuickTimeImporters- QuickTimeMPEG - QuickTimeMPEG4 - QuickTimeStreaming -
QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer -QuickTimeVR

3) AC3MovieImport - Perian
Hmm nothing jumps out at me as problematic. You do have the correct spots located. I would take out the Divx components first, but the fix here is basically trial and error, to take out a series of the components, restart and then try the video. I would take out all the codecs by moving them to the desktop and then one by one, or two at a time add them back and restart each time, try the video, and see the results. I'll do some research on these components on my end to see if there are any potential problems I see.
For the second group ' HD>System>Library>QT .... I can drag the codecs onto the desktop but they remain in that folder also. When I bring them back I get a ' cannot be moved because QuickTime can not be changed ' ( or something like that ).

I did it for the other two groups but nothing changed.

This is harder than you expected isn't it ?

This will be the last time I ever use an 'update' ... 'if it's not broke don't fix it' will be the routine from now on.

I'd bring this to a Mac dealer but the one in my area went out of business and there isn't any close by.
Hmm this is perhaps because you've opened quicktime, try restarting and then removing them...I've done this, so it should be possible, def more annoying and difficult than expected!
I've been trying but can' get that( pulling out the codecs) to work ... the get to the desk top but are still in the folder ... they never are removed from it.

Isn't there anyway to just un-install QT and re-install it. Or what if I bought the 'QuickTime Pro' ... would that over ride this QT that isn't working ?
No they are all related, the codecs can be pulled out and then deleted from the Library folders. Quicktime Pro would just add more codecs.
OK, I'm away for a couple days .... I'll try again when I get back.
I just tried a couple more times to remove the codecs from the 'System' QTlike you asked, but as it's been evey time I tried. they can be dragged onto the desktop as copies but they also stay in the folder.
The latest thing I tried was to look at 'package contents' of these codecs since I couldn't get them out of the folder. All but one showed four or five different thing but one , APPLE VA264HWcomponent, showed nothing inside when I clicked on it's 'contents' folder.

Would this be the problem ? If so , what do I do with it ??