Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

my mighty mouse will not move down on horizonil(sorry cant…

Customer Question
my mighty mouse will not...
my mighty mouse will not move down on horizonil(sorry cant spell).It will go up .
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/22/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer replied 8 years ago
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer yet. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

This sounds like a defective Mighty Mouse. However, to confirm this, there is a few things you can do. First, if possible, try the Mighty Mouse on another computer. If the problem occurs there as well, it is a defective mouse.

If you do not have access to another mac, you can try the mouse on a new admin user on your mac. This will rule out whether the problem is with a corruption in your user account (another possible issue).
1) Go to System Preferences / Accounts
2) Create this temporary account by clicking on the + button. Make sure you make it an admin account.
3) You may have to click the "lock" in the bottom left corner first though.
4) Once you have this new account created, log in to it and test your mouse here.
If the mouse is not working here as well, then we'll try one more thing below. If it is working in the new admin account, stop and let me know. We'll decide how to proceed.

If the problem is bluetooth related, then let's reset the PRAM on the computer. Also please note, it will require a USB keyboard, not a wireless keyboard.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.
6) allow the computer to start up and see if the Mighty Mouse is still inoperative.

If it is, then the problem is likely a failing mouse.

Good Luck

If I helped, please click ACCEPT. Otherwise I do not get paid. If you still need assistance or have further questions, I'll be glad to keep working until this issue is resolved.
FEEDBACK & Bonuses are always appreciated!
PLEASE, BEFORE leaving Negative Feedback,
allow me the chance to respond here.