Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Macbook running 10.4.11 with airport access to internet.

Customer Question
The airport runs through the...
I have a Macbook running 10.4.11 with airport access to internet. The airport runs through the LAN in our office. I can see the local network from my Mac hardwired to the LAN but not form this Mackbook on the airport. How do I configure the PC operated LAN so it can see my Macbook or configure the Macbook to see the network and all the network devices on the LAN?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/21/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am somewhat confused here, does your MacBook connect to the wireless network and thus to the Internet?

Customer:

It connnects wirelessly to the airport. The airport is connected to the LAN. The LAN is connected to the Inernet.

Customer:

I suspect the Macbook is not a member of the domain. How do I correct that?

Daniel :

You must not have gotten my last post, I asked are you the administrator for the LAN?

Customer:

He and I are sitting right here.

Daniel :

If the network is set up to accept machines that have had their MAC address input into the router Then until your network administrator inputs your machines MAC address you will not be able to do anything with it.

Customer:

I've gone to "connect to the network" and I can see the servers by name but they are aliases, which don't work.

Daniel :

How do you have the network set up?

Customer:

Servers are set up with static IPs not Mac addresses

Daniel :

That really doesn't make a difference here, when you click on networks in your finder window or networks in the Go drop-down menu do you have a folder called MS home, my network, or workgroup?

Customer:

I brought up "About this Mac" and checked the network report. It does not have the IPs numbers for the local dns controller.

Daniel :

I think you're looking in the wrong place. When you say PC operated, this is running through a PC and not a router or a server?

Customer:

Yes, I have those items on my "Network" plus the name of our local domain and the workgroup. When you click on one of those you get the aliases for the various network computers but the aliases are broken

Customer:

It is going through a Sonic Wall router and then to a local server for dhcp

Daniel :

Okay, open System Preferences/Sharing and be sure that Windows sharing is check-marked. This will let selected Windows users access shared folders on your computer using SMB/CIF S and makes it easier to connect to those machines.

Daniel :

When you click on any of those folders mentioned above, are they populated?

Daniel :

Wait, you said they were, and when you clicked on them they said they were broken.

Customer:

They are populated only by broken aliases. I can see my office based Mac and I can connect to it from this airport connected Macbook and see all the folders.

Customer:

The Windows share is checked

Customer:

We entered the local network domain controller IPs in the network setup screen, but they don't seem to be recognized by what ever is finding the IPs to make the connection

Customer:

Looks like the committee is active. It seems to us that the problem might be with the configuration of the airport. Perhaps we should pick up the Macbook and connect it to the LAn with a wire to see if that isolates the problem.

Customer:

I now have the Macbook hardwired to the LAN. Still can't see the server.

Customer:

It can see all the network computers, as evidensed by aliases that I never entered, but it can't connect to any of them. The LAN is connected and active and working, according to the setup assistant both in diagnostic mode and setup mode but I can't connect. We are checking to make sure this MacBook is listed on the domain. I can see this Macbook from my office based Mac and access it.

Customer:

We changed the name of the MacBook from "PJ's Laptop" to "pjs-macbook" so he PCs won't be confused about the apostrophe or the space. We are checking to see if a PC can see the MacBook.

Customer:

Anybody there?

Customer:

My name is Robert

The question is still open and has not been answered. I will wait for the expert to whom you have referred me.

Robert
I am looking into it.
My question was never answered and I want my money back.
I am sorry and apologize for that. I do not know why you were not contacted. I will send your request or a refund to the appropriate people and also I will opt back out and see if I can find another expert that is willing to help you.
Hello Daniel,

It looks like my fee has not yet been transferred. It looks like it is still a deposit. If you can find another expert I'm interested in getting an answer.

Robert
Robert, I will try to get you another expert.