Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I happen to have CS2 suite. However I no longer use InDesign,

Customer Question
Acrobat etc as I am...
I happen to have CS2 suite. However I no longer use InDesign, Acrobat etc as I am retired and I only use Photoshop. I therefore want to purchase Photoshop CS5-only upgrade.

I have just read this is the UK Magazine The Photographer:

"Just one small word of warning; if you have one of the Suites you can't onlu upgrade the Photoshop part of the suite. Sad but true."

Is this so? If I spend £189 on Photoshop CS5 upgrade will I not be able to use it?

I need to know before I part with my money?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/21/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Jesse, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

What you read is true. You can't upgrade just Photoshop. You can pay full price for just Photoshop, which is pretty expensive.

However, Adobe has done a good job of increasing the features in Photoshop Elements, which may be all you need (and is much cheapter). I would recommend you look over it's feature list (read more about it here).

That should do it. If what I recommended doesn't help, or if you have additional questions, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.
Elements does NOT have all the PS features of CS5

This seems an absurb situation. There must surely be some way around it?

My version of Photoshop 7 was a stand alone version. Can I upgrade this.
I am looking for a way round this absurd situation. I am not trying to get something for nothing. I am willing to pay Adobe for CS5, I just need to be sure it will work as an upgrade to the CS2 version I have already paid for.
I apologize for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Here's the quote from Adobe's website:

You cannot upgrade a previous edition of Creative Suite, Adobe Production Studio, or Macromedia® Studio to a standalone product such as Photoshop, Illustrator®, or Dreamweaver®.

(You can read more here)

I realize it's silly, but that's how Adobe has chosen to do it. You can upgrade from CS2 to CS5, but you'll need to purchase the whole suite upgrade, not just Photoshop. The good news is to upgrade the whole suite is cheaper than buying photoshop by itself.
I am sorry but your answers have not been very helpful. I am thinking that a possible solution will be to buy a licensed edition of CS2 or CS3 and then I can buy the CS5 upgrade. This way will cost me much less than either an upgrade of CS5 suite (not required) or a new stand alone version of Photoshop
CS5.

I am in the UK where already Adobe charges us as many UK £s as it charges you US $ despite the official exchange rate.

In view of the fact that I do not consider your answer helpful I am disinclined to pay on this occasion.

Ian Gee
I'm sorry, based on your description, I thought you had a licensed copy of CS2. I will say that it will still be cheaper to purchase a full upgrade to CS5, and get Photoshop that way, rather than purchasing an older product, and then another upgrade.

I'm happy to continue helping if you need additional assistance, but I need all the facts to provide you with a proper answer.
I'm sorry but in the end I came up with what would seem to be a better answer, myself. My CS2 suite is licensed but will not allow me to upgrade just the Photoshop part which is all I need these days. I no longer have use for any other applications.

Your solution is to buy the whole CS5 Suite upgrade which will cost me £560 here in the UK, when Photoshop CS5 upgrade alone is only £180, but it is apparently not available to me. I was looking for a means of legally obtaining the latter for less than £560. Photoshop CS5 (basic) alone is £644.

My own best solution is to buy a licensed copy of Photoshop CS2 or CS3 and then get the CS5 upgrade. This will cost less than either a new stand-alone Photoshop CS5, or an upgrade of the suite. If you can come up with a better solution, I shall be glad to hear it and pay.

I hope indeed that you, or a colleague, can suggest a legitimate way round what in my opinion is a crazy state of affairs.

Ian Gee
You're right, it's a bit crazy, but that's how Adobe makes their money.