Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Hi, My TWO pcs do not reconize my ipod. The message reads…

Customer Question
Hi, My TWO pc's do not...
My TWO pc's do not reconize my ipod. The message reads computer does not reconize USB device. I pod still plays fine on it's own, problem is I cant download transfer or add anything to or from my ipod. I'm stuck with what's already on the ipod. I have tried to reset my ipod by moving the Hold button on and off several times then pressing the centre and menu buttons at the same time until an apple appears on the screen, this has not reset my ipod. Well I do not think it has, I do not really know what is supposed to happen to a reset Ipod as nothing seems to have changed with it? I have uninstalled itunes and reinstalled itunes on both of my pc's using the disc that came with the ipod and the apple web download and still neither pc reconizes my ipod. I have been advised to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the ipod, this was not proffessional advice, and I would not want to try and do something I do not know how. Me thinks my ipod is just broken? Please HELP.
Regards
Perry
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Mac Support Specialist: VanMagnus Systems, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Mac Support Specialist
OK. Was your iPod ever dropped or suffered any damage that you are ware of? Also, when did this first happen? Did you install or remove any Software just before this happened?

As far as i am aware the ipod has never been dropped or suffered any damage. The ipod (classic) does not get used very often, only when i go abroad on holiday, so the last time i used it was in August 2008. I know this is a long time without use but it still works fine on it's own, I can listen to what is already on there, I just can't add anything to the ipod and neither of my two pc's reconises the ipod as a usb device.

p.s

I have an iphone and this works fine

Regards

Perry

Sorry, but forgot to say that I do not know when this first happened as do not use the ipod often. The problem only came to light last week when i tries to connect the ipod. Nothing was uninstalled or installed before the problem occured. I tried the ipod, the message not reconised came up, then I started playing about resetting the ipod then uninstalling and reinstalling itunes.

Regards

Perry

OK. Let us look at the iPod for the moment. Have you tried a different cable to connect the iPod to your PC? This a common occurrence also.

Yes, tried a few different cables. Nothing seems to work, always get the message that pc does not reconise usb device and that device has malfunctioned.

what model of iPod is this? An iPod Classic or 1st or 4th Generation?

was purchased in 2005 so 1st or 2nd gen

OK. Please follow these reset instructions for the Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1320