Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I cannot get my MacBook to display programs or video on my…

Customer Question
I cannot get my MacBook...
I cannot get my MacBook to display programs or video on my Philips tv, only the desktop background. I asked a tv expert (see below) and he recommended I contact a mac expert since the tv does receive signal from my computer. He suggested problem may be resolution or computer video settings. Can you help? I'm using an HDMI-DVI cable with mac adaptor and sound cables. I've tried all pixel settings and 60Hz refresh.

From TV Tech1
Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:31 PM EST

Well the GOOD news is your TV actually RECEIVES signal from the Mac...so you either have TOO LARGE of a picture appearing on your TV set, and you need to try some other resolutions on your computer's video settings, OR you have another issue with your Video --- Possibly a drive upgrade or you may have another setting in your Mac that brings up the Icons.

My suggestion is this....since you know your TV is okay, you should POST this question to the computer experts. They have a better working knowledge of MAC.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/20/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Jesse, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

If you're seeing your background, then it's likely that the computer is seeing the TV as an external display, rather than it's own display.

While the TV is connected, Open System Preferences on your Mac, and select the Display pane. Select the Arrangement tab. You should see a box that says Mirror Displays. Make sure it's checked, and you should be all set.

That should do it. If what I recommended doesn't help, or if you have additional questions, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.