Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The last couple of days there has been this strange grid appearing…

Customer Question
The last couple of days...
The last couple of days there has been this strange grid appearing across the tool bar, the dock, on all the icons on the desk top and following the mouse. It looks like this ==== but vertical and 8 lines long. It does not appear in email, web pages, or documents, but it does follow the mouse. I ran Clean My Mac today, and deleted a couple of old apps, cleaned the cache, removed cookies. The computer is a PowerPC G5 running OSX10.5.8
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/19/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Could you please give a screen shot of your Mac's desktop? ?(Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into www.senduit.com and give me the share/download links)
35fe93
I saw that picture and i think its a temporary problem. There is a chance that the problem is relating to the bad preference file of Finder. So we can trash the bad preference file and create new one. Goto Library/Preferences/ folder and trash these files.

com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Restart your Mac and see if the problem is resolved.....

Best Regards,
I am sorry but I am not finding Library/preferences folder anywhere. I have done a spotlight search, application search and hard drive search. Where is this found?
These are just folders and files inside your Macintosh HD (hard disk). If you can't find it, just search the files (com.apple.finder.plist) and trash them.
found the library but there are no files com.apple.finder.plist or com.apple.sidebar.plist
Search com.apple.finder.plist in Spotlight. Does it shows anything ?

No it is not showing up in spotlight
My fellow expert Daniel has given me a screenshot to find the Preference file. You can search the preference files in this way.
graphic
Thanks Ashik. It took 2x times deleting those files but the problem seems to be solved.
Glad that worked. If you like my service, please click Accept button.Smile

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Sorry to report that the same problem has again returned. I have trashed the com.apple.finder.plist at least 5 times now. I need an other solution
Follow the steps below and see if that solve the problem.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
solution 2 seems to have worked.
Wait..restart your Mac again and see if you still have problems. If yes, you can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one and it'll permanently fix the problem.

Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,