Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

While trying to set up my email account from the mail icon…

Customer Question
While trying to set up...
While trying to set up my email account from the mail icon in the dock....When asked my user name and password XXXXX mail.mac.com it is not accepted. Huh?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/19/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Do you have a account with Apple Mobile Me ?

Is this is the first time you are setting up Mail ?
I don't know if I have a Apple Mobile me account. Yes, this is the first time I am setting up Mail
Who is your email provider ?(eg : Comcast, Gmail, Yahoo etc)
I don't know if I have an account with Mobile Me. I've never heard of it.
If you don't know it, you might not have it. Because you have to pay a yearly fee for Mobile Me. Okay..then who is your email provider ? Or What is the postfix of your email address (like @gmail.com, @yahoo.com etc) ?
@gmail.com
Google is your email provider. Follow the steps below to setup email with Apple mail.
  1. Open Apple Mail.
  2. Click Mail, and select Preferences...
  3. Open the Accounts tab, and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to add a new account.
  4. Enter name, email address, and password
  5. Enter your name in the Full Name: field.
  6. Enter your Gmail address in the Email Address: field.
  7. Enter your Gmail password XXXXX the Password: field.
  8. Check the box next to Automatically set up your account.
  9. Click on Create.
  10. Now you're done! All your Mail should be downloaded into your Inbox.

Let me know if that worked or not...

Best Regards,
When i click on mail and it opens up to a different create account page the the on you sent, which then does not allow me to open preferences under mail.
Just fill the same information in that 'create account page', that should work. Let me know..
The new account window that comes up when I click mail has these blanks to fill in:Account type{.Mac - which you can choose from 3 which are POP, IMAP or Exchange. Next blank to fill in is Account description which already has Mac account written in it. The next 3 Blanks are: Full name, User Name, & Password. I don't know what to enter for account type or account description.??
Close everything and quit mail. We can do this step by step. Open Mail and did you get a Welcome message to setup Mail ?
Yes I got the Welcome to set up followed by the page I described when I clicked on continue.
You are getting this Welcome screen when you open Mail. Right ?
graphic
No, I get a welcome to mail page which says: you will be guided through necessary steps to set up your mail account. To get started click continue. Which then brings up the page I've described.
Could you please give a screen shot of that page? (Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into www.senduit.com and give me the share/download links)
Well.. I got the screen shot uploaded into senduit and when I tryed to email it it tryed to do it through this email program that we are now trying to set up. Sorry! My reply at 1:08 pm Desribes the screen. There are 4 lines to fill in?
Just upload the screenshot again and you'll get a link like this http://senduit.com/d9c01
Just post that screen in here...
The link is http://senduit.com 8e3346.
Sorry, i couldn't see the file. Can you resend it ?
How do I send tge file?
Liek you did before. Goto www.senduit.com, click Browse button and select the file and click OK. Click the Upload the button. You'll get the link of that file, just post the link in here. see picture below;
graphic
graphic
Got it. Just fill it..

Account Type - POP
Account Description : Gmail
Full Name : enter your name
Username : enter your email address without @gmail.com (eg : yourname)
Password : your gmail password.

Click Continue....let me know how it goes..
The mail set up is asking for my : Incoming mail server????
Here is more detailed...

Incoming Mail Server : pop.gmail.com
Incoming Port : 995

Outgoing Mail Server : smtp.gmail.com
Outgoing Port : 25 or 587 (write any one)
Ashik, Mac Technician
Got it! Thank you very much!! Good job. I really appreciate your expertize.
Thanks for Accepting my answer. Please let me know if you need any help.

Best Regards,