Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need help getting my scanner to work. It was working, then…

Customer Question
I need help getting my...
I need help getting my scanner to work. It was working, then stopped. Image Capture says no scanner is attached. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/16/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Can you tell me the version of MacOS X you have?

Daniel :

Can you tell me the make and model of the scanner?

Daniel :

Were you using any other scanner software besides image capture?

Customer: I am using 10.6.3
Customer: I am using 10.6.3. Brother 7840W. I was using Presto! before but it stopped working. I paid a consultant to spend half a day to get it to work, then it crapped out. Then I discovered Image Capture comes free. It worked, but now it doesn't
Daniel :

How about the other two questions?

Daniel :

Does It give you any error messages other than the scanner could not be found?

Daniel :

One thing that you can try doing, and this may solve it altogether, is do a To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

Daniel :

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Daniel :

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Daniel :

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Daniel :

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

Daniel :

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

Daniel :

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Daniel :

I'm still working on the auto type thing.

Customer: Is anyone there?
Daniel :

I am here

Daniel :

Did you do the reset?

Customer: no other error messages. If I do the PRAM reset, won't I lose my connection with you? I don't know what you are referring to: "the autotype thing"
Daniel :

The auto type thing is a block of text that automatically types when I say a certain keyword and sometimes it starts early. Bookmark this site like you would in a favorite site and you can come right back to it after you restart.

Customer: That partially solved the problem. I can get it to scan if I go through Preferences - printer and fax - select the MFC, select scanner, open scanner. But if I just click on the Image Capture on the dock, it still says no printer or scanner is attached. Before, it worked by opening the program from the dock; when that stopped, it worked by going through Preferences as described above; then it stopped altogether. Now it's working, but only through Preferences (since doing the PRAM reset)
Daniel :

Okay, that is progress. Now I want to do open your hard drive to Applications/Utilities and find the application called Disk Utility. Then I want you to repair the permissions just like in the image below.

Full Size Image

Customer: Repairs completed, but Image Capture still says no scanner attached. Do I need to restart?
Daniel :

It can't hurt, but it may not solve anything either. Is there a possibility that you have worn the scanner out?

Customer: That doesn't seem likely, since I can still use it by going through Preferences
Daniel :

You are correct, that slipped my mind. Okay, we're going to try what we call a Safe Boot.

Daniel :

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Daniel :

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

Daniel :

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Daniel :

Try that and let me know what happens.

Customer: restarting didn't work. Need to go to a meeting. will check in later
Daniel :

I will be here, I am looking into this.

Customer: I'm back. Any solutions?
Customer: anyone there?
Daniel :

Yes I am here, I had to go to dinner.

Daniel :

There are a couple of possibilities here, one you may need to reinstall your operating system to get full functionality back, the next one, and this is more likely, I would reinstall Presto! and see what happens.

Customer: I have a busy day, but will try to get to this later today or over the weekend. I may need help (from Presto?) to reinstall. Also - if I reinstall the operating system, will it wipe everything out?
Daniel :

It will only wipe it out if you do not chose the correct options, if it is done right only the OS is installed and none of your data is lost, I repeat, none is lost. Just make check it twice and click once, once committed it cannot be undone.