Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We are trying to install OS 10.3 on G3s ibooks in it is coming…

Customer Question
We are trying to install...
We are trying to install OS 10.3 on G3's ibooks in it is coming up with text about debugging. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/15/2010
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode to see if we can't remove a possible folder(s) that may be affecting your Mac's start up function.

-SAFE BOOT MODE-
• Reboot your iBook
• Upon restarting your iBook, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.

• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while
(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)

• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop enviroment the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

-Terry

The computers have been cleaned of all software. I have purchased these from a school surplus and are "cleaned". We have been able to install 10.3 on a third of them but the others lock up when trying to install 10.3 as operating system. I the dialogbox it states to shutdown and restart. Thanks for your help, John
Thanks for the update.

What I recommend you do in that regard, is to perform a PMU reset.

-PMU RESET-
The Power Manager is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Mac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

-PMU RESET-

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
  3. Wait 5 seconds.
  4. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.
Try this iBook PMU Reset to see if this procedure will allow your iBook to start up beyond the debugging text screen.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,

-Terry