Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

hi-just installed safari 5 and it crashes every time i cli…

Customer Question
hi-just installed safari 5 and...
hi-just installed safari 5 and it crashes every time i click.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Steve, Mac Help Specialist replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Hello, I may be able to help you with this issue but I need some information first.

What is your OS X version number?
Apple Menu > About this Mac

When was the last time you restarted the computer?

Was there anything else that happened/was installed/surprised you just before the issue appeared?

Did you install Safari 5 using the Software Update application or did you download it manually?
10.5.8
2 hrs ago
no
software update
So, it may take a couple of tries until we rectify the situation...

The first thing to try is to just re-install the program. This is the link to Apple's download page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1046

Remove Safari from your Applications folder. Download the new installer. Run it. Restart and let's see what happens.

Let me know if you get stuck on any steps. And continue using Firefox for this discussion until the problem is resolved.
ok. will try.
hi--i lost you. still no safari and i've downloaded and installed again and again. says i can't use 5 because my OS is just 10.5.8
Ah, well maybe not but this page from Apple says 10.5.8 is supported.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1046

Is it an Intel Mac or PPC?
STILL NO SAFARI. TRIED DOWNLOADIN AGAIN. CAN'T USE VERSION 5 EVIDENTLY BECAUSE MY OS IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH. CAN' DOWNLOAD HIGHER. ????
Let's try removing the preferences for Safari. Are you familiar with this? All programs have a preference file that keeps track of info and sometimes gets messed up.

Find this file:
Home folder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist

Drag it to the trash and try launching Safari again after rebooting.