Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Installed the software update for safari today and now the…

Customer Question
Installed the software update for...
Installed the software update for safari today and now the app launches but no windows will open. I restarted the computer several times...no luck. "New Window" is black in the menu bar but when I click on it nothing happens. "New Tab" opens a tab at the bottom of the screen. When I click on it the application unexpectedly quits. Can't get on the internet on that computer because safari was my only browser loaded.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/15/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
BeBoo :

Hi there. Let's try to reset Safari. Open up Safari and use the Safari menu and choose Reset Safari... Make sure all the boxes are checked and click Reset. Once you have done this, please use the Safari menu again and quit Safari. Open it back up and let me know if it acts normal. If not, we can try one other thing.

Customer:

When I hit reset after checking all the boxes it unexpectedly quit. I launched it again and it continued to not work...

BeBoo :

Try the reset one more time, just to be sure.

Customer:

Nope...once I hit reset it just quit "unexpectedly" again.

BeBoo :

Ok, let's try the preferences.

Customer:

I"m in safari preferences

BeBoo :

Please click the Finder icon (happy face in the dock). Use the Go menu at the top and choose Home. In here, open the Library folder. Look for Preferences and open it up. Then, look for a file called com.apple.safari.plist and delete it. Open up Safari.

Customer:

I"m looking...stand by

Customer:

don't see one...

BeBoo :

the com.apple.safari.plist file?

Customer:

I am at the list in preferences and don't see a plist for safari...there are a bunch...and they appear to be alphabetical although I can't see the middle. Tool tips (yellow) shows me the whole name and I don't see one for safari

BeBoo :

You can drag the little line between Name and Date Modified to make it bigger. Make sure it's in list format as well (View menu > as List)

BeBoo :

Also, make sure that you are in the Library > Preferences in your home directory, not on the hard drive.

Customer:

stand by...my 10 year old caught my possible mistake, might be in the right library folder now...stay tuned...

BeBoo :

Take your time

Customer:

Found it, threw it in trash, didn't empty trash, safari is doing the same thing...no fix yet.

BeBoo :

Ok. One last thing we can try before i suggest a reinstall of Safari. First, quit Safari if it's running. If you are still in the Preferences folder, click the back arrow. Open the Application Support folder and drag the Safari folder to the desktop and try launching Safari.

Customer:

Application support doesnt' have a safari folder

Customer:

Your going to make me go to the basement and find my disks aren't you?

BeBoo :

Oops, sorry. Not in Application Support, just in Library. Click back and find the Safari folder.

BeBoo :

No, not yet Innocent

Customer:

Launched it from the dock after the safari folder is on the desktop and it is behaving the same way.

BeBoo :

Ok, let's try reinstalling Safari. Do you have Firefox installed or another browser we can use?

Customer:

Nope...

BeBoo :

I assume you are chatting with me from another computer?

Customer:

Yes I am

BeBoo :

Ok. Do you have a flash drive?

BeBoo :

or memory stick?

Customer:

Yes that I do!!!!

BeBoo :

Awesome. Please visit the following page, download the Safari image and put it on the flash drive.

Customer:

On the drive, I assume move drive to the mac?

BeBoo :

correct

BeBoo :

Move the download to the flash drive, then put it in the Mac and run the file on the flash drive

Customer:

I assume I just open and install? do I throw away the folder on my desktop that didn't do anything?

BeBoo :

If you throw away that folder, it contains your Bookmarks and you will lose those

Customer:

should I put it back where it belonged wherever that is????

BeBoo :

Let's install Safari first, then worry about that folder

BeBoo :

We want to get Safari working first.

Customer:

Installed and doing restart...could this be our moment??? haha I'm only kidding!

BeBoo :

I'll cross my fingers. Laughing

Customer:

no go...still doing the same thing...

BeBoo :

Hrm. Do you have those discs? Sealed

Customer:

somewhere...can run down and find them...I have never installed it...it came that way but I assume they are in my original stack of stuff????

BeBoo :

Should be. wrapped in clear packaging

Customer:

stand by...

Customer:

plan b if I don't find them, they aren't where I expected them to be...

BeBoo :

Hrm. Got a friend or neighbor that has a Mac?

Customer:

yes, and have an appointment at a mac store tomorrow if need be...

Customer:

should I try to put firefox on the flashdrive and see if I can get on the internet that way? would it prove anything?

BeBoo :

Well, you have two choices. Borrow your friend's/neighbor's or wait for the appt at the Apple Store

Customer:

IF I borrow what am I going to do?

BeBoo :

If your Mac is under warranty, the Apple Store will fix it for free

BeBoo :

If not, they will charge you labor

Customer:

It is...

BeBoo :

You will need to do an archive and install. This process only replaces system files. To give you the right instructions, I need to know if you have 10.5 or earlier or 10.6

BeBoo :

You can find this under the Apple menu and choosing About This Mac

Customer:

10.5.8

BeBoo :

Great. Its a bit of a process but I have a feeling that the Apple Store will do the same thing.

BeBoo :

Let me get those steps. One moment.

BeBoo :

1. Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. If you have different versions of Mac OS X Installer discs (for example, if your computer came with version 10.3 and you later purchased and installed version 10.4), start from the disc that most closely matches the installed Mac OS X version. Usually, that's the latest (newer) version.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key. Or, put it in the computer and click the Install or Restore icon you see in the disc's main window (after which the computer will start from the disc without you needing to hold C.)
2. Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.
3. Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
4. After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.
5. After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
6. An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.
7. Click the volume that you wish to install to.
8. Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
9. Select Archive and Install.
10. Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
11. You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings.
12. Click OK.
13. Click Continue to begin the installation.

Customer:

I don't have any discs

BeBoo :

The discs you were going to borrow?

Customer:

Oh, well that will take some time...apple store here I come I guess...

BeBoo :

Like I said, if it's under warranty, they will fix it up for you.

BeBoo :

for free

Customer:

Thanks anyhow...sorry I can't pay you...

BeBoo :

That's your decision to make