Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a flat screen MAC OS X. The computer turns on but is…

Customer Question
I have a flat screen...
I have a flat screen MAC OS X. The computer turns on but is not allowing me into the computer. I click on the the photo of my husband on the screen but nothing happens. We just bought a new keyboard and it appears to paired with the computer... perhaps that has something to do with the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/14/2010
Mac Support Specialist: VanMagnus Systems, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Mac Support Specialist
What is the Model of the Keyboard? When did this start and was there any changes made to the MAC before this started?
The model # XXXXX XXXXX A1314 or MC184LL/A and no changes made to the MAC before this started.
Please attempt to restart your system and Reset the PRAM. Instructions are below:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
I shut computer down, turned back on, tried holding the four keys simultaneously but the screen goes directly to our options of my husbands photo/name or guest account. When I pushed all four keys the P & R keys make a "bop bop bop..." sound.
OK. Please try the reset button on the back of the keyboard next.
i can't seem to locate the reset button...?
did you see my reply? I don't see a reset button on the back of the computer.
Yes I did. Give me a few moments to get back to you.

Please do me a favor and replace the 2 AA bateries. That should resolve the issue. Please let me know when you have completed this step.

Edited by VanMagnus Systems on 6/14/2010 at 5:40 PM EST
ok thanks!
You are welcome. Is it working correctly now?
no not yet. I can't find the reset button on back of keyboard.
Sorry, no reset button on this model. It syncs on it's own. Please change the batteries.
new batteries in and still not working.
Hold the phone. Where is the old keyboard?
old keyboard is right here.
Ma'am. Did you and your husband properly setup the Bluetooth before disconnecting the old keyboard?
the apple store employee told me all I had to do was start using the keyboard, it would automatically pair with the computer because it was the same keyboard. I didn't set up the bluetooth before I disconnected the old one.
Were the batteries removed from the old Keyboard?
yes
OK. Please take that new Keyboard back tot he store. Thee is a problem with it. The Apple Store Associate was correct, the Keyboard should be able to sync your MAC right away. Sorry to say this. Please have them replace it promptly.
I'll do that. Thanks for all your help!
We tried every way to eliminate that it was or was not the Keyboard. We found out that it is the keyboard.