Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have had iweb set up on this computer for over a year and…

Customer Question
I have had iweb set...
I have had iweb set up on this computer for over a year and have been maintaining our website. Just recently iweb will not save my work. The status bar moves as if everything saved and I can exit the program fine but when I reopen iweb the work is not saved. The domain.sites2 file shows that the file was modified on the current date/time as well.

I'm not sure where else to go on this.

-Terry
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/13/2010
Mac Support Specialist: robgranholm, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Hi Terry, I'm Rob, I'm going to help you out on this one. First a couple questions, are you saving this to a .mac account (mobile me) or to a folder, or straight up to an FTP server? Which version of iWeb are you currently using. Don't worry, we'll track down the issue! Also just out of curiosity, how many pages are under this website. Thanks!
I am saving to the macbook pro in to the default <user<library<application support<iweb folder. I publish to an FTP server and am not using a .mac account. There are approximately 20 pages on the site.

http://www.adventuretrio.com is the site

iweb version 3.0.1

-Terry
Got it. so that's iWeb 09, and when you publish, do you publish to an FTP server or do you save to a local folder and then upload it with another program to an FTP server? ... I have a few things for you to try that I think will solve this problem. Since it's a saving issues, first make a copy of your domainsites2 file so any changes we make from here we can easily go back to the original. Okay so the first suggestion may take about 10 minutes but I think making these changes will solve it. The fix is to create a new site, name it adventuretrio2 for the time being, once you've started the new site, DRAG each page from the first site, down to the second until there are no more pages under the first site...then delete the first site. Now set up the second site with the correct publish information and give it a try at uploading. I've seen in my experiences that this almost always solves the issue, although it takes a while to do and save. Update here, I'll be glad to continue following up.
I will try that later today and get back to you. I do upload it to an FTP server direct from iweb so there is no other program involved.

I can publish my changes I make in iweb, but when I save and then exit the program they are not there when I reopen iweb. As I said before the domain.sites2 files shows a modified date and time for the current save but the changes are not there.

I will let you know what I find.

-Terry
Great, thanks! Glad to follow up, we'll get it fixed.
Hi, do you still need any help, are you still having this problem, can I be of any more help?
Sorry, we are traveling by motorcycle and wifi has been scarce. I did what you said by dragging all of the pages to a new site created in iweb called adventuretrio2. All was good and I was able to make changes and save them. The changes were there when I restarted iweb.

The problem is that after the program is shut down, some of the pages are not there. The first few pages show up but everything below that does not come up. The headers exist but when you click on them the text and photos do not show up.

I restored my original domain.sites file and did the process again of dragging the pages to the newly created site. The result was the same.

Any suggestions?? We are in a hotel with good fast wifi for the night and I will have time to try anything you my suggest.

Regards,

Terry
Hi Terry, I was beginning to wonder where you went. No problem though. I'm sorry I've been in and out as well. I'm trying to think what is keeping those pages from saving. They even upload fine but then don't fully save? This is very troubling. Have you tried running disc permission repair and your latest updates?
I have checked to make sure that the latest updates were installed and they are.

I don't know how to run disc permission.

When I originally created the new site and drug all of the files over I was able to make changes and save fine. Then when I tried to publish I kept getting a publish error. I tracked that down to the fact that I could not read some of the pages as the text and photos were gone. Let me know what else you think I should try and I will do it in a few hours.

Thanks again.

Terry
Hmm you may be dealing with some corrupted data...I wonder if deleted those pages alltogether and trying to save would solve the problem...is it possible to re-create them. Try this repair permissions utility. Go to "Disk Utility" In your Utilities folder...once it opens...select your Hard Drive on the left...then click "repair disk permissions" let it run...hopefully that takes care of it.