Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cant download New York Times crossword puzzles (for which

I can't download New York Times crossword puzzles (for which I pay an annual subscription fee) because I get the following message:

Adobe Reader could not open 'Jun1310-1.puz' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

I just downloaded new Adobe software and it still gives me this same error message.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Download and install Across Lite from here : http://www.nytimes.com/downloads/acl2mac.dmg

Once you installed the application, open it click on the File menu and choose Open. Select the PUZ file.

Or Open Across Lite application, drag the drop the PUZ file to Across Lite.

Let me know if that worked or not...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It didn't work. I have a lot of "Across Lite Bundles", puzzle and other downloads cluttering up my desktop that the trash will not accept.

I'm just going to forget about trying to use Adobe and Across Lite. Please just tell me how I can get rid of all these extra downloads and stuff that I can't trash.

Thanks.
To permanently trash them, you can use this application, Trash It. This will force your Mac to trash the file even it is being used by other Applications.

Download TrashIt : http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8214/trash-it!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I downloaded the Trashit application, and I am diligently filling it with extraneous Across Lite Softward Bundles that keep making aliases. I cannot empty the Trashit folder because it insists that the three "acl2mac.dmg" aliases are all "still in use".

How do I get rid of all this garbage without having it replicate like viruses?

Mary
Could you please give a screenshot of your desktop ? (Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into www.senduit.com and give me the share/download links)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Here is the link:

http://senduit.com/7d6eb6

Select the three white icons and press Command(Apple) + E and they'll eject. Let me know once you did that..see pic
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Two of the three icons ejected, but the third one gave me this message:

"The disk "Across Lite Softward Bundle" couldn't be ejected because "Across Lite OS X v2.0b" is using it.

I don't know what that means. I don't think I have any applications open.
Check Force Quit and see if it listed anything...press Command(Apple) + Option + Esc to open Force Quit.

If that didn't worked, restart your Mac in Safe Mode and try to eject it and also try to delete others in Safe Mode.

To restart your Mac in Safe Mode, Turn your Mac off. Press the power button and Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Edited by Ashik on 6/14/2010 at 3:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I'll leave well enough alone now.
Thanks for Accepting my answer and the bonus, please let me know if that worked or not..If not, i will continue to help you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The final deletions worked fine. The downloaded applications didn't. But that's no surprise, since I have had trouble downloading the New York Times Sunday crossword for years. Apple has tried it without success, and I have even had friends come over and try to get it to work on my computer. I just think I'll stop trying and simply buy the paper at the newsstand! This is the only application I have had problems with. There are just some things that aren't meant to happen.

But you really know your stuff, and I'll contact you when I need help. Thanks again, Ashik. Now I know a few more commands, so that's something.

Good luck,
Mary
I just don't know why its not working, but i'd like to help you until it works or i give up. If you send me a sample puz file, i will try it on my Mac and let you know the solution(no need to pay again)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your offer to help. I have never had any success with this website, not since I subscribed about five years ago.

What I do is to go into the New York Times web page, click on "Crosswords/Games", get a download window, click on that and then get the message I told you about, which is this one:

"Adobe Reader could not open 'Jun1510.puz' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)." Gibberish, to me.

I recently downloaded a new Adobe file (in the last few months), but that hasn't worked.
Can you send one sample file to me ? I have to check it on my Mac to see if it corrupted or not..You can send the file through www.senduit.com

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
http://senduit.com/403674
I will check it on my Mac and reply back to you..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.
I figured it out, it worked for me. I will create a tutorial and send to you ASAP.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wow! Thanks!
See the picture, i explained it in the pictures :
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic

Let me know if this works or not..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I ejected all the Across Lite folders yesterday, and I can't find a website that will let me download.

Sorry.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry -- I downloaded from the NYT link, dragged the file to the desktop, deleted the "bundle", and the Across Lite icon opened once and showed the online puzzle. I tried it again and now it won't open at all.
Are you able to open the Puzzle like i did on Picture 6 ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The first time I clicked on it, the puzzle opened. Then I closed the puzzle window, but after that I couldn't open the file after double-clicking on the Across Lite icon in the folder. It sits there like it's about to open, but never does.
What happens when you double click the PUZ files ? A restart may fix the problem..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I always get the Adobe damage message, each time.

Shall I restart?
Yes, restart.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, now the file will open, but it won't accept new downloads -- the same damage message. The Across Lite folder had a folder of puzzles inside it that date from 1996, and they open just fine. But not the current ones.
Right Click (Control + click) on the new PUZ file,from the pop up select "Open With", click Other...
In the 'Choose Application' windo, select Across Lite application from the list and select "Alway Open With" checkbox. Click Open...
graphic

Edited by Ashik on 6/15/2010 at 3:37 PM EST
Thanks for Accepting my answer and the bonus. This is the biggest bonus i got in here... I really appreciated it ! Thanks...

Please let me know if you need more help or if you have any question, please ask in here..

Have a great day !
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You, too. I'm glad to support good workers. I'm sorry my system is out of whack. Maybe I can fix it with my NEXT Macbook or whatever new computer I happen to buy in the next 10 years! You are a good sport!

Mary

Thanks Mary, please let me know if you have any questions as i'm always glad to help.

Best Regards,