Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Mac Pro. It has started asking me for my Keychain…

Customer Question
I have a Mac Pro...
I have a Mac Pro. It has started asking me for my Keychain Password. I have forgot the Keychain password. To reset to a new password, it asks me for the old password. How to I find out my old password, or reset to a new keychain password?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Unfortunately, you cannot do much of anything with keychain without the original password. That's the way it was built, there are no back doors. You will have to probably start a new keychain.

Customer:

I never use keychains. It has just started asking me for the password.

Daniel :

The keychain stores more than just your user password, it keeps passwords for your e-mail and other things. However, making a new keychain is not a bad idea for you.

Customer:

Will it quit asking me for the Keychain password XXXXX I start a new keychain?

Customer:

How do I start a new keychain?

Daniel :

Yes, it will.

To create a keychain:

1. Open Keychain Access, located in the Utilites folder in the Applications folder.

2. Choose File > New Keychain.

3. Type a name for the keychain, and then click Create.

4. Type a password XXXXX the keychain, and then type it again in the Verify field.

• For help choosing a good password, click the key button to the right of the Password XXXXX

Daniel :

That is how you do it, make certain that you record the password XXXXX so that if this happens again in the future you can find it.

Customer:

I didn't get your last line.

Customer:

I'll try it. I hope I quit getting the messages to give it the keychain password.

Customer:

Can I use the name, "Login"

Customer:

I want the Keychains to open automatically when I turn on my computer.

Daniel :

The keychain generally does that no problem. You can use any password XXXXX like, just make sure it's something you will either a, remember or b, write it down so that you can find it again.

Customer:

Okay, I'll give it a try. THanks Daniel.

Daniel :

You are welcome, thank you.