Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a remote disk drive that somehow had the Privilege set…

Customer Question
I have a remote disk...
I have a remote disk drive that somehow had the Privilege set to custom instead of read & write. How can I fix this?
Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

A little more information would help me formulate a proper answer. Such as, what version of OS X do you have? What model and year Mac do you have it on? When you say remote disk drive can you expand on that and tell me how it is connected to your Mac?

Customer: I have a 15" mac 2009, My ext. hard drives are 2 TB OWC drives. Firewire 800
Customer: I had the same problem with my enternal drive to I reformatted it and re-installed the OS
Daniel :

You can reset the permissions for those drives, providing that they were formatted as Mac OS extended.

Customer: I tried to look at the drive using terminal but I don't know the password XXXXX su
Customer: I've been using these drives for a year, I I try to change the privelege using disk info it won't work
Daniel :

Select your name from the list on the left, and then give yourself read and write privileges.

Customer: does not work
Daniel :

When you see them in disk utility what does it tell you as a format?

Customer: Mac OS Extended but under Owners Enabled it says no
Customer: I tried that and it reverts back to custom right away
Daniel :

One thing that you can try is repairing the permissions with Disk Utility, this may not help but it certainly will not hurt.

Daniel :

The next thing I would suggest is a restart and resetting the pram.

Daniel :

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

Daniel :

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Daniel :

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Daniel :

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Daniel :

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

Daniel :

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

Daniel :

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Daniel :

You might also want to try what is called a Safe Boot area

Daniel :

Forget the area.

Daniel :

That is supposed to be period.

Daniel :

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Daniel :

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

Daniel :

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Daniel :

Bookmark this site and try those and see if it makes any difference.

Customer: I'll get back to after I try these
Daniel :

I will be standing by.

Customer: Your solution did not work. I fixed the problem myself. What I did was get into Unix as a super user then copy all the files from the disk I could.not access from OS X to another drive. Aslo when I did the 4 bells boot you suggested I was no longer able to boot firm my internal drive.
Customer: John Hendrickson
Daniel :

Then you have bigger issues than you thought. I'm glad you got your files off. If you need to work on the whole thing let me know we can get the whole machine fixed.

Customer: Paypal says you took my funds. How can you do this when you were no help?
Daniel :

I did nothing of the sort, since you have not accepted my help and clicked on accept you funds are still on deposit here.