Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I cannot eject a disk.

Customer Question
I cannot eject a disk.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

My suggestion is to hold down the left mouse button. This is assuming that you have a USB connected mouse or a wireless mouse such as a Logitech.

Daniel :

You have to restart and hold down the mouse button.

Daniel :

If that fails, the is another key to hold while restarting. Should that fail, then gently tap the eject key as it starts up and continue until you get your full desktop.

Daniel :

Try those and let me know how it goes.

Customer:

No progress. There is no eject key onmy machine. So I restartedwith F12 andwith Shift command escape. No help.

Daniel :

Can you tell me what Mac model you have? And what type of keyboard and mouse it is? Does the disc attempt to eject?

Customer:

I have an iMac with Panther intalled. Ihave the original keyboard tht came with the machine. Also the original mouse (single tip). I haveheard the disk fluttering as Ihave tried various methods, but it doesn'tcome out.

Customer:

I am afraid to take the icon for the disk to the trash, because then I will really be stuck with it.

Daniel :

Taking the icon to the trash is the same thing as ejecting it. It is another way to get rid of it. However, if the disk is somewhat warped and it cannot find the slot than taking a 3 x 5 or playing card and folding the card in half you can insert the two edges to help guide it out of the slot. Try that and let me know what happens, chances are the disc is shot anyway.

Customer:

I havetried using a folded card, to no avail. If I take this to

Customer:

Apple will they have to remove the back? I did this once and my macine has never been the same since!

Daniel :

If the disc will not eject in any other way then it yes, it has to be surgically removed. The guys at the Apple store have been doing this for a long time and they know how to do it well. That is my recommendation. Because chances are you will need a new DVD drive.