Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I made three move projects on an external hard drive and now…

Customer Question
I made three move projects...
I made three move projects on an external hard drive and now imovie in showing a yellow caution sign next to the disk and I can not access the events or projects which are at the highest level on the drive. I can access the drive using finder but opening the project from the drive yields the same result.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/10/2010
Mac Support Specialist: robgranholm, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Hi, my name isXXXXX can help. What version of iMovie are you using?
imovie'09
Make sure the drive is properly connected to the computer, restart the machine and then launch iMovie. It's not seeing the external drive and all the media, which hopefully we don't have to re-add. You'll need to toggle this button graphic to see all available media but they should run from there. If not...we'll need to pull the media back into iMovie which is an annoying process and it will be treated like a new event. Update here and I'll be glad to follow up and get this thing sorted!
did not work what is next???
I have over 100 hours of events loaded onto the external drive. reloading is un-acceptable
I'll call Apple in the morning and get you the official word tomorrow to see if there are any other alternative options. Has this external drive been powered off or disconnected before or after this issue?
it was disconnected between the time it was working and the first time I noticed it was not working.
now another drive is showing up called "My Documents" with the caution symbol. I have a folder on the mac called that but I have no idea why it would be used by i movie. is there away to just remove it from iMovie hard drive display?
hmm not sure what's up with my documents folder, sounds like the external drive might be having some issues. apple reported back that the disconnect of the hard drive was the source of the problem and repairing it would be to re-add the video to the events, which is exactly what you didn't want to do. i hate to say it, but iMovie has basically forgot where the video files are, and it needs to be retold where they are. so sorry! i wish i had better news. i'll dontinue to do research, but i haven't been able to find anything that says otherwise.
talked to another apple representative today...he recommended the same thing. you'll need to re-add the digital video. sorry, is there anything else i can do for you?
Thanks for trying, but I really need results to accept the answer> i'm headed to the local Apple store with the computer. If they solve the problem, do you want the answer?
Sure, if it's anything different, please update, I would love to know! Thanks.