Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a time capsule and have an imac and a mac book air connected. The…

Customer Question
I have a time capsule...
I have a time capsule and have an imac and a mac book air connected.

The imac backs up fine but the mac book air is not backing up since March.

I have spent time checking settings and everything seems fine.

I have an error message that says 'the backup volume cannot be mounted.

Any tips

Tony
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/9/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Do you have separate partitions for the backups or are they both going to a single partition?

Daniel :

Can you tell me what version of Mac OS X you have on both Macs?

Customer: OSX 10.5.8 on both machines
Daniel :

The first thing I would try is permissions repair, you do this with Disk Utility.To repair permissions first open Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities or type Disk Utility into SpotLight in the upper right corner of your screen. This works best if there are no running applications, and a logout/login afterwards doesn't hurt anything either.

It will look like this.

disk utility open.jpg
Full Size Image

Now do the following, do them as they are numbered.

repair permissions .jpg
Full Size Image

Depending on which version of Mac OS X that you have determines how long it will take. OS 10.4 is quicker than OS 10.5, which is quite slow, OS 10.6 is again quite fast. Please have patience.

Customer: Hi
Customer: I have opened disk utilities
Customer: Your images have not come through
Daniel :

Okay let me try again.

Full Size Image

Daniel :

How about those images?

Customer: Both drives are shown with a grey line between.
Customer: The Matshita drive only shows on the imac which is ok
Customer: The repair disc permissions are greyed
Daniel :

What were working on is the MacBook air. Although it won't hurt to do that on the iMac.

Daniel :

The image that I showed you is only a sample, what yours tells you will probably be different.

Daniel :

The way it works will be the same.

Customer: ok It is checking
Customer: Permissions repair complete
Customer: Mac book air has been backing up for a few minutes now. The oldest back up has disappeared from the preferences page and the failed backup message has gone. Will watch.
Customer: Will this be backing up from scratch. The mac book air I have left overnight and still backing up in morning when it has failed
Customer: imac has backed up in 4 mins approx. Air is still going as it did with problem, unless it is starting fresh
Daniel :

It may be starting fresh, the only way to know for sure is when it finishes and you enter Time Machine.

Daniel :

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but the site dropped off-line.

Daniel :

The reason the iMac only takes a short time is because it is doing at approximately every two hours and it is only incremental. If the MacBook air it's taking this long and chances are it is all new.

Daniel :

The only bad thing about that is if you had something earlier that you did not want to lose. And even that may be accessible by holding down the ‘Option’ key when clicking on the icon Time Machine in the menubar and selecting Browse Other Time Machine Disks.

Customer: Daniel
Customer: The Time Machine is still preparing backup, so I will see if it has worked in the morning
Daniel :

I will be here, please keep me posted.

Customer: I do not have anything earlier that is not on the air disc anyway so that is not a problem. The original back up was overnight.
Daniel :

Doing a wireless backup for the first time is extremely time-consuming, however, if you do it connected via cable the two backups are not compatible.

Customer: The time machine finished preparing backup and started to backup and failed after a few megabites. 'Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume'
Daniel :

This I know from personal experience. The chances are very good that your backup will be successful.

Daniel :

Well, I was wrong, it was not successful.

Customer: It seemed to be going well. What are the early files that are backed up
Customer: I will try another backup
Daniel :

Can you tell me what the information is you are attempting to back up? Sometimes if you have an external drive that it is trying to back up also it will cause an error. Or if you have something selected that doesn't really belong in the backup it will give you an error.

Customer: Looking in last backup on 14th march Folder J which has Applications folder, then an image (photo) Library folder, web file, then System folder, User Guides & information folder and Users folder. The J folder is dated 9th march as is the photograph image.
Customer: Should I delete the image and web file, as these are not req'd here and may be the problem
Daniel :

I would, then give it a try. Sorry for the delay.

Customer: No problem
Customer: I have removed and restarted and the 14th March is showing as last backup. I will let you know when it gets through
Daniel :

I am standing by.

Customer: Same error message
Customer: An error occurred copying files
Daniel :

You got back to me after I had turned in for the night, sorry.

Daniel :

Does it tell you which file? It should be right after 'copying'.

Daniel :

Do the following and tell me what it tells you.

Daniel :

If a backup fails, note any message it sends. If you missed it, or failed to note exactly what it said, go to Time Machine Preferences.

It should show Failed and a red i icon like the sample. Click the i to see the message.