Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Seagate External Hard Drive (Part no. 9Y7865-560)

Customer Question
and am trying to back...
I have a Seagate External Hard Drive (Part no. 9Y7865-560) and am trying to back up an Apple MacBook. When I look at the Ownership and Permissions on the MacBook, it says "You can only read".

How do I change this setting to accomplish my backup?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
6/9/2010
Mac Support Specialist: robgranholm, Mac Genius replied 7 years ago
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Can you explain the situation a little more...what is the exact error you are receiving? and where are you looking at the permissions? You can pull up the "Get info" but what do you highlight exactly and "Get Info" on to see this information. Certain elements on the computer need to be set to READ ONLY...but individual files and folders most of the time do not.

On the desktop, the Seagate drive shows up as "SCSI0_VOL1. When I Ctrl-click that icon and Get info, under "Ownership & Permissions:" it says, "You can only read." Also, when I try to move the folder "Micah" onto the SCSI0_VOL1 icon, an error message displays, saying "The item 'Micah' could not be moved because 'SCSI0_VOL1' cannot be modified."

I see, is there anything on the external drive right now? If not, lets reformat it, this will give you the correct access.

Cancel question. I figured it out while I was waiting.

Great, what was the solution? You don't get charged unless you accept an answer and I haven't provided one...so don't worry abou that.

I found a user's manual for the Seagate drive at Seagate' website, and it told me that you have to format it for use with a Mac or a PC, but not both. As I had previously used it to back up a PC, I just reformatted it, and then the Mac saw it as a writeable drive.

Thanks for your help.

Yep, exactly what I thought needed to happen. Great job, sorry you found that my effort was un-needed. You won't be charged if you don't accept any answer...no worries. Take care!

Edited by robgranholm on 6/9/2010 at 6:34 PM EST
robgranholm
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius