Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Im very familiar with Solaris and Sun workstations, but Mac…

Customer Question
I'm very familiar with Solaris...
I'm very familiar with Solaris and Sun workstations, but Macs are new to me. My Sun machine will print a postscript document when I type, say, "lpr -Php -h envelope.ps" If I type "lp envelope.ps" when I'm using my new iMac, the machine displays a message about a print request, but nothing prints. What do I need to do to print postscript files?

By the way, my iMac recognized my Laserjet 1200se them moment I attached it to the computer.

Thanks.

Bill
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/9/2010
Mac Support Specialist: loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. Before we get started, it would help to know the following about your environment if you please:

* What version of OS X are you using? To obtain this information, click on the
Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to
the right of Version is what I'm looking for.

Regards,
Hi John,

Thank you.

I'm running OS X 10.3

All the best,
Bill
Try this command:
lp -d nameofprinter -o media=legal filename.ps

To verify what "nameofprinter" should be, open System Preferences (white light switch) and go to Printers, then verify what you've called the printer or printers, then take that name and substitute "nameofprinter" with that name. Substitute media=legal for whatever you want, or don't specify anything, then filename.ps is the file you want to print, obviously.

What are the results?

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Hi John,

I went to System Preferences, clicked on the printer icon, an found the name "LaserJet 1200," put that name between after the "-d" and between quotation marks, and followed it with "rise.ps". But the computer didn't recognize the printer name. I clicked on the printer icon because I didn't see the white lightbulb. Thanks.

Thanks.

All the best,
Bill
Well, I think the reason is there's a space you'd either have to escape with a "\" or just rename your printer to something without any spaces and try again.

Regards,
John, Did you mean that I needed to type "\LaserJet 1200"? I typed it. So the iMac said, "The printer or class was not found." The man who set up computer for me told me that he accepted the printer's default name. So maybe, if "LaserJet 1200" is that name, I need to rename the printer. How do I rename it?

Thanks.

Bill
No, there's a space in between LaserJet and 1200. This space is not tolerated natively on any unix/linux platform. So, it would read "LaserJet\ 1200". However, I'd first try renaming the printer to something like "Laserjet1200" or just "1200". The simpler the better. Then substitute the aforementioned command with the new name, of course.

Regards,
Hi John, I'm sorry that didn't work. Since I noticed that the printer name began with "HP" when I read that name from the printer information screen, I added the "HP" to the name I typed. Here's the conversation between my iMac and me:

William-McEnaneys-iMac:envelopes Bill$ lp -d "LaserJet\ 1200" -o rise.ps
lp: The printer or class was not found.
William-McEnaneys-iMac:envelopes Bill$ lp -d "HPLaserJet\ 1200" -o rise.ps
lp: The printer or class was not found.
William-McEnaneys-iMac:envelopes Bill$ lp -d "HPLaserJet\1200" -o rise.ps
lp: The printer or class was not found.
William-McEnaneys-iMac:envelopes Bill$

Would I find the printer name in /dev? It doesn't seem to be there?

Bill
To change the name of your printer, please follow these instructions:

1) Open System Preferences and click Print and Fax
2) Click the Printing tab at the top
3) If the padlock is locked, click on the icon and authenticate to "unlock" it
4) On the left pane, click once on the printer name you want to rename, then, at bottom right, click Printer Setup
5) Click the dropdown menu and choose Name & Location
6) Click in the printer name box and type a new printer name
7) When done, click Apply Changes

Now try the lp command as mentioned before.

Regards,
Hi John,

The iMac knows that the printer's new name is "LaserJet1200." But if I try to print a postscript document, the computer still complains that there's no printer by that name. I couldn't find the phrase "Apply changes." But since the machine still remembered the new printer-name after I closed and reopened the window where I renamed the printer, I thought the iMac had already applied the changes automatically.

I'm sorry the problem is lingering. Even if we can't solve it, I'll be happy to pay you.

God bless,
Bill
Bill, in the event that you're running an "off" version or some beta version of OS X, is it possible for you to post screenshots of the Print & Fax section of System Preferences so that I can see what you're looking at? Apparently, this version of Panther I'm using doesn't have the same screens if you're not seeing Apply Changes because mine definitely has it. To take a screenshot, press and hold command+shift+3 to take a picture of your entire screen. To specify the region of your screen to take a picture of, use command+shift+4 and click/drag an outline of the box you need to screenshot. The result should be "Picture1.jpg" found on your Desktop as an icon. You should then be able to attach these pictures to the JustAnswer reply section. This will help me immensely.

Regards,