Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I bought an 5th Gen iPod from ebay and it wont restore. I…

Customer Question
I bought an 5th Gen...
I bought an 5th Gen iPod from ebay and it won't restore. I did not read down far enough to see that the iPod was being sold as broken. before bidding on it. They did not state what the issue was either. There is somek ind of disk reading error. When I plug it into my computer I also get a message from windows that states the disk needs to be formated.

Restore from iTunes will go through the process but the error "iTunes has detected an iPod in recover mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes." keeps commint up
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/9/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please try this:

1- Plug the iPod to your computer

2- Open iTunes

3- The iPod touch icon is going to appear under "Devices" on the left

4- Now you will have a "Restore" button on the middle of the screen. Click it!

5- When prompted select "Restore As a New Ipod". Do not select back up

6- The iPod is now reset to original factory settings

7- Turn off the computer and unplug the ipod from it

8- Turn on your computer

9- Plug the iPod to it

10- Open iTunes, right click the iPod icon and select "Sync", all your songs and apps (if you have any) will be transferred to your iPod again

11- Let me know if now is working

Please note the most important is to select "As a New Iphone" when prompted. DO NOT SELECT Backup

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated