Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just downloaded itunes and used a 250G external simple tech…

Customer Question
I just downloaded itunes and...
I just downloaded itunes and used a 250G external simple tech HD to copy the music from. It worked as planned (did take along time). I also have a 500G that includes much of the same content +some. I changed to this drive to use instead and itunes does not find it. I hook the 250 back and it's fine. How do I get the 500G recognized. Whew, I hope you get what I'm saying
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/9/2010
Mac Support Specialist: loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
You'll need to choose File->Add to Library to import the data from the 500GB drive into your iTunes Music Library.

If your iTunes library is currently being read off your 250GB, drive then it already knows where all those files are. All you need to do is set up an iTunes folder on your new drive and tell iTunes that that is its default location. This is done in Preferences->Advanced (tab)/General, then direct it to your new folder. It is a good idea to check "copy files to itunes folder...." so you know they all go there. All your original files will still be where they were but any new rips you do will go to the new location.

Also, if you have less than 500GB worth of music in total, it is probably a good idea to keep them all in one place as it makes finding stuff and backing up a lot easier. To do this, once you have selected a folder on your new drive as itunes default , go to the Advanced menu and click on "Consolidate Library". This will copy all the music in your entire Library to this one location. Once it's done, you can go and delete all the originals on your 250GB.

If the information took care of your issue, please click Accept so that I get credit for providing the solution. If the information helped, but you require further assistance, please do NOT click Accept and we'll continue to work the issue until you're happy. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal. Please remember to leave feedback as this is like Gold to us Experts and we'll do the same for you.

Kind regards,

Hi John

Thanks for your help. The computer in question is in a differtent location from the one I'm responding to you from. This sounds good, but I believe I tried this in trying to make it work myself. When I uplug the 250 and switch to the 500 the address to the files is the same...but it doesn't work,(is there a step I'm missing)... but let me try it out with your instructions in hand.

I think what is not getting done is "setting up an itunes folder" on the 500 drive, maybe that's what I'm missing

If this works it is worth more than $18

I won't be able to try till this evening

Thanks again, Leith

Thanks for the feedback Leith. Let me know how it works out for you. This should work.

Regards,