Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

just got an ipod nano 4th gen off ebay for my wife ... perfect…

Customer Question
just got an ipod nano...
just got an ipod nano 4th gen off ebay for my wife ... "perfect working condition" auction said...no manual, etc, and we have never used one...I used the cable with that came with my ipad to charge the ipod...charge only lasted about 15 minutes first day...then I charged it again, added 177 songs to test, and just placed it on a table left playing, and it played for several hours...now, for the last 3 days, it will go off by itselt after my wife listens to it for about 20 minutes, and won't turn back on, or, if we turn it off, it won't come back on...put it back on charge (but batt indicator shows full charge) and it fully charges in about 5 min, but it still won't play for any length of time, and it goes off, or if turned off it won't come back on! What's up with this thing? :-)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/9/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Did you try a Restore in iTunes?
Well, no...but I am trying that now...as I said, my wife and I are both new to the ipod...was a gift to her, and she is upset...if possible, give me a minute or two..well, I can't connect to the ipod software update server for some reason...do have the latest version of iTunes too...
You mean in Tunes you Check for Update and it can’t connect?
yes....since I replied to you last it connects and starts downloading software to restore but then it times out...I'm still trying...
Let me know.

it finally worked...has restored ipod to factory setting and is now syncing songs and pics...but I won't know if it's still doing them same thing for a while, probably not until tomorrow since we both have to go to bed to get up early to go to court tomorrow...so then, how do I accept your answer if I won't know if it worked until then?

Thanks Mike!

OK make sure you have selected what you want to sync under the Music, Info, etc... tabs. Many people make that mistake and then can’t figure out why it didn’t sync anything. I’ll look for your reply.
so is there a way to "accept your answer" tomorrow? if so, how?
Yes just go to the link in your email and come back to the question. Thanks and good luck.

Thanks Mike!

Back to you tomorrow after my wife test this thing again!

OK
well, batt is fully charged, and my wife was listening to it and it just shut off after just 15 minutes..and would not turn back on..plugged it into the computer, and it came on, of course....I still surprised it does this!
Sounds like the battery is bad. You might want to try a different connector. Not sure if the iPad connector is exactly the same.