Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Downloaded Safari 5.0 and nothing works. Literally. Whats…

Customer Question
Downloaded Safari 5.0 and nothing...
Downloaded Safari 5.0 and nothing works. Literally. What's the deal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/8/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What exact Mac OS X version do you have ? Go to apple icon, then About this Mac. You will see the version number under "Mac OS X"

Thank you.
10.5.8 - It's a Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 with 4 GB GB SDRAM

What browser are you using now ? Firefox ?

And what exactly is the issue with Safari ?

Thank you

John Cappucci

I was using Safari 4.0.5.

Version Tracker told me it had the Safari 5.0 update to download, so I downloaded it.
Now I have nothing. If I try to open a window from History, I get a blank gray page which then quits and then I get "The application Safari quit unexpectedly: Mac O X and other applications are not affected. Click Relaunch blah, blah, blah...so I've been sending increasingly angry "Reports" to Apple. No reply so far.

Is it because I have a G5 Mac and if so, how do I get back the old Safari?

Try downloading and installing Safari 5 for Leopard from the apple.com site

1- Click here ---> http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

2- Select "Safari 5.0 for Leopard"

3- Click "Download Now" (no need to type your email address or location)

4- The computer will restart BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (favorite) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

5- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
The thing is that I can't get a new window to open on Safari. I have Safari showing across the top of the screen but non of the pull down menus works. The only thing that opens is a gray-out screen which then crashes to the Safari quit unexpectedly screen.

Is there any other way to get rid of this browser?

I am sorry for the delay

Are you using the Mac now ? What browser are you using ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
No, I'm using another computer with the old Safari browser 4.0.5 on it. Can't do anything that requires a new page to be opened. I'm trying to figure out if there are any programs on the computer that aren't compatible, but can't find that out because I can't get to the apple page or any other page view for that matter.
Please Download Safari 5 from this computer, and only save it, do not install it.

2- Select "Safari 5.0 for Leopard"

4- Click "Save File"

5- Then do not double click it, just copy it to a Pen Drive and copy it to your another Mac (the one that's not working) then double click the file from there to reinstall Safari 5 for Leopard

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

I have to "kill" the 5.0 that I downloaded yesterday in order to be able to download the Leopard 5 that you told me to download to a "geek" stick. I thought that it would work without getting rid of yesterday's download, but it didn't. I'm trying to figure out what I have to trash. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Please try downloading Firefox (another very good web browser) and the copy it to your other Mac and install it from there.

That way you can use Firefox and troubleshoot the computer using it.

You can download Firefox clicking here ---> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html?from=getfirefox

Then click "Download Now Free"

Then copy it to a USB pen drive and run it from the other Mac. Then try to go online using Firefox.

I will be offline for 1 hour and will come back then. I apologize for that.

Thank you

John Cappucci

I cannot get rid of the original Safari I downloaded yesterday. Even though I have downloaded the Safari 5.0 Leopard to a geek stick and downloaded it to my computer, it isn't there and the browser keeps crashing. How do I use Firefox to troubleshoot?

Using your "good" Mac, you can download Firefox clicking here ---> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html?from=getfirefox

Then click "Download Now Free"

Thank you

John Cappucci