Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I have an hp 5500 series all-in-one printer. The fax and printer

Customer Question

I have an hp 5500 series all-in-one printer. The fax and printer are working but the scanner does not seem to be connected. How do I get the scanner to work?

My e-mail address [email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am using a Mac 10.5.2
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 7 years ago.
Is the print directly connected to the computer with a usb cable?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Ok the easiest way to use the scan is with a program on the mac called preview. With this application you would be able to scan. Go into applications and double click on preview, you will see the name show up in the file menu. Then click on file, then click on import from scanner and click on your scanner. It will then walk you through the process.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience: 5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
$20.00 has already been charged to my account. I don't want to pay again
Justanswer holds the money. I don't get paid until you accept my answer.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Although I have found the icon for the scanner under applications, this message appears

Sorry, scanner could not be initialized, scanner not found
What is the icon? I'm not sure what you mean.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I go into applications, I click on scanner and the scanner icon appears at the bottom of my computer. When I click on the icon the message that appears is what I told you earlier
Are you doing this in preview or some scanner application that came with the scanner?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The scanner is part of the HP printer. It has a fax, a copier and a scanner all in one. I go to Applications and scroll down to scanner. The scanner opens up but a message appears that does not allow me to use it. I referred to the HP troubleshooting manual but there is nothing there that deals with this problem
Are you doing this from the all in one or on the mac?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am doing this from the mac because the printer is attached to the computer. When I press scan on the printer the following message comes up : no scan options refer to device documentation to troubleshooting which I have done but there is nothing there to help solve the problem
The scanner button will not work. I have never seen that work with a mac. On the mac go to the hard drive, then Applications then open preview. Then go up to file and click import from scanner. You should then see your scanner in there. Click it, and follow the on screen steps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Kyle,
I used to be able to scan with my Mac. Basically what comes up on Applications.Then to Preview. I click on the Hewlett Packard Folder which leads me into Device Utilites Foder which brings me to scan destinations which are Scan Picture, Scan to OCR, Scan to PDF or Front Panel. I cannot find import from scanner anywhere.
Is the Hewlett packard folder in the applications folder?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
Try using apples preview application that is in the application folder. Open the preview application, then click on file, then click on import from scanner and click on your scanner.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to Applications and clicked on Preview. It won't open.
There will not be a window that opens. You will see preview on the file menu.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Iwent upto to vfile. There is no Preview under file. The only way I can get Preview is go to Applications and click on Preview.
OK, you need open the preview application. On the file menu next to file you will see preview. Click on file, then go to import from scanner and click on your scanner.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Kyle,

For whatever reason I click on preview and then go to file. There is nothing under file that says preview or import from scanner so I really don't know what to do now.
It the preview application should be selected when you click on file. Also it will say preview to the left of file if it is.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When the Applications folder is opened, everything in that folder comes up as a series of pictures. When I click on the picture, it says Preview. There is nothing under file that says Preview on my computer that I can see.