Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I get crazy sex calls from strangers all the time even though

Customer Question
my privacy settings are set...
I get crazy sex calls from strangers all the time even though my privacy settings are set to accept calls and chats from people on my list only. What can I do to stop this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Do you have a Skype online number, which you are referring to?

Regards
I use Skype to Skype to communicate with my business partners in Peru. It is a free way for us to talk daily on business matters. I am constantly interrupted by strangers trying to make contact, many requesting cyber sex. Why are my security settings not working. My Skype is set up under (edited for privacy).
Okay ..do the interruptions come by way of chats, calls, or both?

Regards
Both and they come every few seconds even while I'm on calls.
Hmm. Assuming you have already set the Privacy settings to allow calls/IMs only from your contacts, this is strange indeed. Now, do you have any subscription at all, with Skype, or only use Skype-to-Skype?

Regards
I only use Skype to Skype
Are you still there?
Okay ...now, from the Skype menu pulldown, choose Privacy... Choose Privacy Settings and click on Show Advanced Options.

Select the following options:

Allow Calls from... people in my Contact list only
Automatically receive video and screen sharing from... people in my Contact list only
Allow IMs from... people in my Contact list only

Under Skype WWW options, uncheck:

Allow my online status to be shown on the web
Accept Skype browser cookies

Done that, let me know.

Regards
Do you me in Skype Preferences? In Preferences I have my setting for ... people in my Contact list only in all of those. I don't know where the Skype WWW options are.
Please go to Help > About Skype; what's the version listed?

Regards
2.8
Oh ..that's the problem. Please download the latest version of Skype, i.e. 4.2 using the following link:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

Run and install the same, then carry out the earlier set of instructions I had specified.

Keep me posted.

Regards
I have a Mac and it looks like version 2.8 is the latest available for Mac.
In that case, I'll transfer your question to the Mac experts accordingly.

Regards
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist