Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just set up two new email addresses thru earthlink but they

Customer Question
say you have to adjust...
I just set up two new email addresses thru earthlink but they say you have to adjust my settings to allow them so that I can seem them in my inbox.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 7 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi , I would like to help with this problem.

Have you set up the apple "Mail" application for you new email addresses?

If you don't use Mail or the email address is different from your current used mail provider , it will need setting up .

You need to get your SMTP server from your ISP , try giving them a call to find out .
This may already be setup if you have been using Mail .

You also need your POP server from your Mail provider ,

Note for hotmail users on OSX:
Mail can work with hotmail accounts but it needs extra setting up with free pops.
"if you use hotmail". Mail needs this free pops application tool ,
Free pops must be used for hotmail accounts as they work differently from normal pop email addresses.

This enables hotmail to work on Mail once setup and installed .
http://www.freepops.org/en/download-osx.shtml

-

See accounts in the Mail Application Preferences to add an account and the details , email , password XXXXX pop server , etc .

If you need extra help please let me know
I don't understand anything you said. Comcast provides my service & Earthlink my email. I'm already on Mac Mail and don't have a hotmail account. So who is my ISP?

Earthlink technicians fiddled around with my smtp settings and said I was ready to go except to get the setting adjusted by Mac. Isn't that you?
Hi ,

The ISP is your internet service provider . who you pay for the ADSL or cable broadband.

The email is your email provider , Earthlink , yahoo, hotmail etc .

each of the above has a mail server .

We use the ISP mail server to send email. SMTP

We use the Email server to receive email. POP

So we need to collect the SMTP & POP email server info for each and fill in the info in mail for each email account .

Do you understand this , please ask if not ?

This video should help you set up the account once you have established your details . .

When this all started I called Comcast, my ISP and they told me to call Earthlink.
I've spent over 2 hours on chat support with Earthlink and they have adjusted the settings. They said everything was ready except that I have to ask Mac to
authorize settings. That's why I got in touch with you. Are you telling me I have
to start over with each provider?
You need your basic details , do you have them or not ?

Email address .

Email password XXXXX

Pop server.

SMTP server.

If you watch the video in the last post , it shows you where to put the details and more .

How exactly did Earthlink adjust your settings ? at your home ?

"I have to ask Mac to authorize settings" is gibberish .

Mac is a brand , not a company .

Our company is a support service , we are nothing to do with Apple .
Although i am skilled in helping with some of their products .

Do you know how to open the Mail applications preferences ?
you will need to follow instructions to be able to deal with this issue .

If you are not capable , please ask someone to assist you that is .

You already have the answer to this question , you just need your basic details.
My son-in-law was able to help me resolve this with about an hour of tech support.
Flo
Yes and the correct details .

Thanks.
I was unable to use the inforamtion you sent me. I hired someone who came in and set up the new addresses for me.
OK , did you understand the info given , it was the very basics?

Glad issue fixed .
Yes but there were more issues that needed attention.
Ok.

More ?
No. I'm all set.
OK well done :)
iteachmac
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!