Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hey Mike, followed all of your steps to fix the problem I have

with iTunes: Run Regedit: 1) Find...
Hey Mike, followed all of your steps to fix the problem I have with iTunes:

Run Regedit:

1) Find these reg keys: The next steps instruct you on what the My Music key should be edited to look like.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

2) In the Shell Folders modify the key (or create a new key (edit > new key)) to look like this:

My Music Reg_SZ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music

This is the default location for My Music folder...

3) In the USER Shell Folders modify the key (or create new one if missing) to this:

My Music REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music

JUst to be really clear...you use the above line exactly...do not substitute your logon name for userprofile...

In both steps 2 and 3, the reg keys will all have similar structure...if the list doesn't have a long column of REG_SZ and REG_EXPAND_SZ
you are in the wrong place (I screwed this up 5 times before noticing that I wasn't in the USER Shell Folder)

4) Exit the registry.

5) Next delete the Apple Computer folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer

6) Reboot

7) Install iTunes - hopefully you will be all set

This did not work. In the last step you gave me, to install iTunes, I am still unable to install or delete any Apple App. as in Quicktime too.
6/1/2010
Mike, Mac Medic
Try this:

go to start>>control panel>>user accounts >>create a new user account that has admin
in the new user account try to install iTunes for all users.

If it installs, log out and go to your usual account, check you have access to iTunes and can use the program, set it to find your music and create the library.
Once your happy its installed and fully working you can delete the spare user account that you made.

here go's...

Ok, here's what happened. I created a Test user account with admin. I first checked to see if iTunes showed up in All Programs list, which it did. I was curious so I tried opening it up and it opened with no problems except that my full library (900 songs) did not appear. I then proceeded to download a new version of iTunes and Quicktime which is now complete. What I couldnt find out was how to make sure what I just downloaded was available to all users. When I first created the account I didnt notice an option or setting to make it accessible to all users. However, since iTunes showed up in the new account I'm assuming that setting is already in place??

I rebooted my PC. Logged into my normal profile, tried opening iTunes and got the same error messege.

Now a question about user profiles/accounts. In the registry files, most say this:

C:\documents and settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music

...But my profile name is XXXXX XXXXX this matter? Should I have my profile name in place of Owner??

Yes a different user will have their own iTunes Library so you would not see your music. So did you try to install the new download with the new user account? Itunes does not open at all on your account, is that the exact error message?

Well, I downloaded the new version of iTunes in the new profile. When I logged back into my normal user profile I got the same error ( iTunes app could not be opened. An unknown error occurred. (-50)) when I tried opening iTunes. At a loss here.

Did you try to install the new download with the new user account it might just fix the problem? I found this I know yo can’t use the control panel to uninstall but there might be something here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925?viewlocale=en_US
You can also try this:

Press and hold on the shift key then run the Itunes , the menu will ask you to create new library , follow this , it mayl sort out your problem.

yes its all installed both iTunes and Quicktime on the new user profile. I'll try the link....

yes, that is the same article I came across before I found you. When I go to try the first step in deleting iTunes from Add/Remove Programs, I get this error messege: could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\.

Did you try the other suggestion I found? Shift key
yes but maybe I'm doing it wrong. You want me to press and hold shift key while at any screen? do i need to highlight iTunes icon and then shift key?? Cuz as I'm typing this I can press and hold shift key, nothing happens....
No hold down the shift ket and try to open itunes.

Found something:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1700797&tstart=30#8044989
Ok, tried holding shift while attempting to open iTunes. didnt work. Unfortunately I have to get to some errands and will have to try out the suggestions in the link you provided later. I will let you know how that go's. Thanks for you help so far with this very perplexing issue.
ok

I'm back, I checked out the link and was wondering, since I cant seem to install anything on the profile with all the trouble, should I follow the directions from the link with my "Test" profile since I was able to open iTunes in there? For instance the first step is to download iTunes and Quicktime, which was successful already with my new profile, then to download Windows Installer Cleanup.

When I was in my normal profile, I tried to download Windows Installer Cleanup, the download worked but when I started to run the app, I got an error messege: Error 1606. Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\.

Which is why I was asking if I should try that in my "Test" profile.....

Yes really everything I have read says you should reinstall your system but I know that might not be ideal. Try it in the new user.
Ok, so I was in new user, downloaded and installed Windows Installer Cleanup thingy, opened it up and began deleting the files in order per HT1925 article. Success! I was able to delete all the required apps. However, I am still unable to install Quicktime and iTunes. In fact I cant install anything on my profile! There must be a major problem in the registry. What am I to do, check every single item in my registry for errors or is there a simpler way?? Because thats where I think the main problem is now. Its far beyond iTunes and Apple apps. One other note, I did check in Add/Remove if there was any residual items like iTunes left behind after I did the cleanup, it looks like they were completely removed. Again, I do have to go, but I'm glad we were able to get this far and I will be back on in a couple of hrs to continue the work on this. Thanks again. BTW, I noticed you were in the Chicago area, so am I. I really would like to get this fixed so if you or someone you know locally can actually physically look into this for me, I will pay for the trouble.
Sorry not allowed to do that but I will look for your reply. You are right this is not an iTunes issue. Maybe you can just upgrade to Vista or Windows 7? And being a Mac expert I have already stepped out of my expertise area.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 6/2/2010 at 8:51 PM EST
No problem Mike. I appreciate all the help. I am dealing with an already heavily upgraded Gateway that I've kept running pretty smooth the last 6 yrs. I suppose it is time to move on and upward. Thanks.
OK good luck

Hey Mike, I came to a positive solution with my problem and thought you should know how I handled it to maybe help others in the future.

I really couldnt have done this without you first telling me to creat a new user profile, so hats off to you, but after I created a new user, I moved my iTunes folder which had all of the raw Mp4 files into "Shared Documents". I then moved all other files and folders I wanted to keep from my "bad" user profile into Shared as well. Once all that was complete I opened the new user profile, went into Shared Docs and moved everything into the new user My Documents Folder. The only other thing I had to do was open iTunes, select File, select Add Folder to Library and import each folder for each Band/Artist and everything works great.

So we still cant explain what the root cause to the problem was, but at least this may provide an easy pain free solution. Something must have corrupted only the registry files for my old user profile. Once everything was switched over its like it never even happened.

Thanks again for all your help and you can expect payment after your final answer.

OK great glad to help (or try ay least). Thanks
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic