Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, switched off my imac to refresh my Garmin connection today.

Customer Question
On powering back up I...
Hi, switched off my imac to refresh my Garmin connection today. On powering back up I only get a blue screen with no account log on choices. Please help! Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
6/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 7 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi , I would like to assist you with this issue .

Please try unplugging all devices connected to the Mac , apart from mouse and keyboard .

Power on , and tell me if there's a change do you have a chime ?
Please eject any CD or DVD that maybe in the Mac , hold the eject key on the keyboard USB keyboard needed , or hold the left mouse button while powering on , USB mouse needed.

Reboot , any change ?

If there's no change please read on :

It maybe some problems have been going on for a while with your system!

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Optional :

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Extra tools:

-

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

Also please download and install this handy maintenance widget for the Dashboard in OSX , and run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly :-

http://www.bradflaugher.com/MaintenanceWidget.html

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

If there's still no difference with your issue? We can move on to testing the issue with a new user account to troubleshoot , or a full "archive and install" of the Mac OSX OS if needed , followed by a complete Combo update of the OSX OS .

Please provide all details of the remaining problem if any after the repairs are carried out to the Mac HD OSX installation , including what applications are affected .

Please let me know if you need any extra info regarding the above?

I will give full instructions to do so if necessary.

I hope this helps .

Thanks.

Everything unplugged. There is a dvd inside but can't get it to eject with your options. Still just have a blue screen and no chime.

It was working perfectly this morning!

Hi ,

Using a USB keyboard , try to eject the DVD , CD you will need a USB mouse or keyboard . hold the eject button while powering on as before .

Do you have chime on power on ?

-

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM , may help .

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.

You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

4: Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values.
The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

More info at :-
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US
-

Are you under warranty ? if problem persist you may wish to arrange a repair with Apple or your computer reseller.

Do you have any extra memory installed in the Mac ? Remove any extras you may have installed back to default .

I hope this helps ,

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 6/1/2010 at 1:42 PM EST
Hi if there are still issues booting .

Try starting in Safe Mode (hold either shift key while the computer starts).
It will take a while to boot.

Eject the CD DVD once booted and try to follow the steps set out for checking / repairing the Mac HD .

Note:
Safe Mode basically runs just the OS and its requirements. No additional extensions. Custom mouse drivers and such will not load, but the basic OS functions will be available.

Info:

Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

Thanks .
iteachmac
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!