Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I asked question Do I need anti virus software for my new Mac

I asked question Do I need anti virus software for my new Mac Book ,I use Bit Defender for my PC as suggested by Just Answer
One of your Experts Charles Spurgeon told me 26th May that I do need anti Virus and that Bit Defender would be suitable and also install MacScan anti Malware .
Another of your Experts Rob Granholm says I dont need either Anti virus or anti Malware in his reply received 27th May . I am completely confused as to which Expert is right
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Actually Macs only have a small number of viruses (1 out of 100) and they won't affect your Mac if you do regular software update (Apple > Software Update). Viruses usually affect the root file system and Mac won't allow to change the File system without the permission of User. I mean, Viruses won't affect your Mac without your Permission. So don't install any unnecessary applications from internet...

Anyway, you can scan your Mac with a free Anti Virus application,ClamXav (scan once in a week)

What i'm saying is, no need to install any Anti Virus on your Mac OS X...its useless and it'll just slow down your Mac..

Just do regular software update and You're safe !!

Best Regards,

Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

Ofcourse you should have antivirus for your mac. you can try any one of the following

1. http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus

2. http://www.avast.com/mac-edition

It is must for a pc to protect it from the various virus and problems.

Hi again,
Sorry for the confusion in answers..

For PC ----> AntiVirus, AntiSpyware etc is MUST !!!

For Mac OS X ----> Apple's Software and Security Update is Enough !!! and no need to install any AntiVirus. Trust Me !!! I have been working with Macs for long time and i can assure you don't need any AntiVirus. AntiVirus for Mac is a just optional...Again, do regular software update and You're Safe !!

You Mac won't get affected from viruses, malware while browsing internet, so browsing is Safe. Make sure you don't install any applications that you don't trust from Internet, don't click Advertisements like "You won $1Million, Click Here to Claim It", "Your Mac have Virus, Click to Scan Now" etc while browing.

Hope you understand...

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 5/29/2010 at 12:40 PM EST
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc