Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi I just bought a LExmark Prospect Pro205 with my Imac a week

Customer Question
ago. First surprise: Installation disc...
Hi I just bought a LExmark Prospect Pro205 with my Imac a week ago. First surprise: Installation disc did not want to install software on the brand new mac some kind of Mac OS x problem ??? I downloaded the software, installed, printer works via USB, run wireless software, success, Wi-fi printing LED green, BUT I cannot print wirelessly, mac doesnt see printer though that is shared, and installed all software and all apple update. But I can scan wirelessly??? Why not printing works wirelessly? (firewall off, printere on wireless network)
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
5/17/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 7 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do what I can to get this straightened out for you.

Daniel :

So you have had the Lexmark and the iMac for just a week?

Daniel :

One problem is that Lexmark drivers are included with the operating system and do not need installation. That may be part of the problem but is easily remedied.

Daniel :

Who are you sharing the printer with?

Customer: Hi Dan. I share only with my Macbook (hopefully if it will work wirelessly at last).
Daniel :

I don't think we're talking about the same type of share. What type of router do you have?

Daniel :

According to the product sheet it is wireless enabled, which means it can join your wireless network.

Daniel :

According to the Lexmark user manual for that printer the necessary steps to set it up are on the CD that came with it. I do not have those instructions and they are not really provided on the website.

Daniel :

The best way to add any printer is to do so through the System Preferences/Print & Fax.

Full Size Image
Click on the + just above the padlock to get to this window.
Full Size Image
There will also be a bonjour tab along with the rest of them in the toolbar. Click on the one that's in the list and the Mac should do the rest.

Customer: Sorry Dan I went to sleep yesterday, was too tired. Now I try to send you some pictures about this system. My problem I cannot find bonjour printer, only the USB one.
Customer: P1000947
Customer: /Kepek/Wireless megoldas/P1000947.jpeg
Customer: I do not know how to put picture here just like you did. I soon go to work, can you give me an email address where I can send the pictures in the evening?
Customer: I made a photo about my desktop and the printer+router. I have an earlier all-in-one device which worked wirelessly (both printing and scanning). Maybe the router can handle only 1 printer wirelessly and I need to reset it before I add the Lexmark one to network??? I couldnt run the installation cd, so I downloaded from net the software and I used that to set up wireless printer. It was succesfull and the printer thinks it is on network, but the Mac cannot see it on bonjour side (in system preferencies/printer&fax/+ (add new printer), only the USB one.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Let me know when you read this.
Tell me what browser you are using, Safari or Firefox? Both can have a toolbar in the text box that allows you to insert images in the JPEG format.
Firefox has that toolbar automatically and in Safari it has to be turned on.
As far as number of printers in the network, it makes no difference. Because each has its own unique IP address the same as your computers do.
This PDF at the Lexmark site tells you what you need to do to get your printer working on the network, mostly. The actual instructions are included on the CD that came with it.
Take a look at that and let me know what you think.
Hi Dan. Many apologies for wasting your time, but finally I solved the problem. I tried everything, I checked the instructions but still was unable to make it work. I put in its installation CD, installation not worked again. Than finally I find a Directory on the CD: Lexmark Extras. In this folder was the Lexmark Setup Assistant. I could start that and run successfully, I told it I want to use wirelessly and than restart Mac. After restarting appeared another printer icon (not the USB one) which was not before despite all of my effort, and I made it Default and this way wireless printing worked. Some way I am happy, because it works, some way I am upset- because it should have been more easily......
Real men do not read instructions until the wife beats them over the head with them.
At least that is what my wife tells me. As I said Lexmark is at the very bottom of my list of printers to buy, directly underneath a short stubby pencil and paper.
I am happy you have it working.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius