Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My husband has a named email address via TheName and receives

Customer Question
it on his mac -...
My husband has a named email address via TheName and receives it on his mac - Entourage. Server Tiscali. He receives an enormous amount of spam. How best to stop it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
5/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm John.

When your internet service provider fails to put sufficient methods in place to block a reasonable amount of spam, there are a couple of things you can to do address this issue:

First, forward the spam email to [email protected]tiscali.com to let them know what their filters aren't blocking.

Second, within Entourage, you have a Junk Mail feature. This allows you to mark messages as junk/spam and, as you continually add emails to the list, Entourage will attempt to "learn" what you deem as spam and attempt to automatically flag messages for you. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is, obviously, you have less spam to contend with. The bad thing is that it can sometimes guess wrong. So, from time to time, you need to check the junk email folder for items that might be legitimate. Also, have it in the back of your mind that if someone complains they sent you email and you haven't responded, it might have gone into the Junk folder. It's kind of a catch22, but I think you'll appreciate it more than it becoming a pain to babysit.

One last important note regarding spam. If/when you or your significant other receive email that you never asked for and you get the option to Unsubscribe toward the bottom of that message, DON'T CLICK IT. In most cases, what you're actually telling the sending authority is they've found a "live one" and will continue to send email your way. In some cases, they may have a relationship with other organizations and will sell/share your legitimate email address with them. In keeping with this philosophy, you need to be cautious about who you're providing your email address to. Seemingly legitimate forms that require you to register to be able to post to their site may actually be giving out your information to other people who will, in turn, send you more email you never asked for. Be mindful about filling out such forms and, additionally, you might even think about creating a new email address specifically for the times when you're asked to provide your email address to register.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Thank you for your suggestions.

About 50 spam are received in the morning and another 50 at least during the day. To forward each one [email protected] would take time and spammers are constantly generating new addresses.

Your second suggestion has already been tried and seems to have no effect with Entourage. I have the same option on aol and it works perfectly.
Well, ok, you can also purchase spam filtering software, but I wanted to give you the free options up front. The one reportedly most successfull among the anti-spam software is Spam Sieve found here:
http://c-command.com/spamsieve/

Outside of this, to be quite honest, given your request for assistance relevant only to Entourage and the server-side not blocking it, this would be your best bet.

Regards,
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
loadedmind
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist