Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

When purchasing a song from itunes I get the following message Could

Customer Question
When purchasing a song from...
When purchasing a song from itunes I get the following message:

'Could not purchase. A required itunes component is not installed . (-42404)'

This has never occurred before, can you please help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
4/2/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you with your iTunes problem. It sounds to me like your iTunes installation may be corrupt. What I'd like to have you try is downloading the newest version of iTunes and re-installing.

You may download iTunes from this link. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Simply download it, and then run the installer. In addition sometimes these problems can be caused by not having the latest version of QuickTime installed so I'd also like you to download that as well and install it from this link http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Try these 2 things and let me know how you make out. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask. And if this helps you out, please don't forget to click the green "Accept Answer" button so that I may be paid for my service. Thanks.

-Scott

Hi

Thank you. I have downloaded and installed the new version of iTunes via the link, however when installing Quicktime via the link the following message appears 'Couldn't open Quicktime 766_Leopard.pkg. This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5'. The system version of this MacBook is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167). Will this cause a problem in the future?

I have tried purchasing music from iTunes and the purchase was successful, so Thank you once again.
I'm glad it worked out for you and that I could be of service. I didn't realize you were still using Tiger 10.4 so then you don't need to worry about the new Quicktime. You should be ok for a while.
Please don't forget to click the green "Accept Answer" button so that I may be paid for my service, and if you could leave some positive feedback that would be great. I'll do the same for you as well.
Let me know if you ever need anything in the future. Thanks again.
-Scott
Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man