Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

macbook white, 10.4.11 cannot log in second user anymore

The first thing to try is a Safe Boot, To do this can you shut the machine down then wait 5 seconds and power it back up.

As soon as you let go of the power button can you press and hold down the SHIFT key and keep it pressed till the machine shows the load wheel below the Apple icon then let go and wait up to 30 minutes for the machine to open to the Safe Boot login.

When the login screen comes up can you then try to login to your Wifes user account and then see if it will open or not.

If it will can you then restart just like normal from the Apple menu and once your machine has rebooted can you then try and login to your Wifes account in the full mode of OSX and let me know what happens or at what point you had an issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
got to the safe mode login page, password XXXXX accepted, then went to the same blue screen

Ok,

So it bluescreened in Safe Boot, correct?

If so can you boot the Mac like normal and then login as yourself and then can you do a spotlight search for the ApplicationEnhancer.bundle and when you find it can you move the file to the trash then restart and see if you can then login to your wifes account.

If not can you tell me if there is anything at all on the blue screen?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
didn't find anything like application enhancer bundle. the blue screen that I get stuck with is the login screen with no info just a cursor/pointer

Ok,

Can you tell me how much information is stored on your wifes user account?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i can ballpark it for you @ about 5 to 10G

Ok,

Do you know where her info is stored, such as documents, music, email?

The reason I ask is I would like to try the path of least resistance which would be to create a new user account then transfer her files, etc. into the new user's folders from the finder then see if you can login as the new user and access her files cleanly.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i see where your going here and that makes sense. I am the admin on this comp. and in the finder menu i click users, wife, and all her info like Pictures, Music etc. will not give me access

Ok,

From your account can you open teh Mac Hdd and then go to Applications, Utilities and open the Directory Utility then type your password XXXXX authenticate and then go to edit and select Enable Root User and type in your choice of Root password.

Once you have your root user set up can you then sign out of the current account by clicking the top left apple menu and selecting Log Out then once you are at the log in screen can you select Other from the list of users and then type Root for the username and enter the password XXXXX just set up.

Once you are logged into the root account can you then click on Finder and go to your Mac HDD and all your accounts should be in the Users directory so you can select your Wife's account and see if you can then see them so you can then move them and let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the closest thing I found was Directory Access, but i found no edit option or root password

Ok,

Sorry I just remembered you are using Tiger so that was my mistake.

You will need to use the Netinfo utility from the utilities folder, So can you open it up then can you follow the steps in this Apple document to setup the root access http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

Once you are done let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not having any sort of luck finding anything that works here, followed the link you sent with no luck. following the idrections on the link was a dead end nothing matched up with the instructions, I'm sure you cant stay up all night to help me. Is it worth it to just take the mac into my mac store and get it cleaned up and have the new OS loaded in. [email protected]

Ok,

If you have your OSX disks you can perform what is known as an Archive and install, This is where you can reinstall the OS but keep all of your files in anarchive folder so you can then restore them after the reload.

If you would like instructions I would be more than happy to give them to you or if you prefer the Apple store will be able to do this for you with no issues.

Just let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i think I will let the apple store do it and upgrade to Leopard while Im there. If i can change the question before I accept an answer what is a surefire way to clear out any browsing history from firefox so as to avoid any uh embarrassing situations that might come up. nothing illegal but well you know

Lol,

Yep been there!

Can you click on this link to a Groovy post artical and it will give you full step by step instuctions to get everything out http://www.groovypost.com/howto/firefox/clear-firefox-browsing-history-and-private-data/

Although the instructions are for Windows it will still work in Mac and if you have an issue let me know

Thanks